We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days in Cape Town - where to stay? Too much advice...

3 posts
Save Topic
3 days in Cape Town - where to stay? Too much advice...

Getting lots of conflicting advice. 25 & 28 y/o females, want to stay somewhere interesting, safe enough (bearing in mind neither of us will end up blind-drunk or have much interest in coming home at 4am in the morning). don't mind being 15-20 min walk from things, but obviously want the walk to be sensibly safe (between us have spent considerable time living in East London/Manchester/Liverpool, if that's anything to gauge our big-city-cotton-wool-wrap rating, travelled to places like Marrakech, India, Pakistan, Thailand so navigating non-Western-ness is reasonable too). We won't have a car.

Waterfront sounds safe but boring/holiday-resort-ish (maybe this would be ok for 3 days), City Centre sounds interesting but some people saying avoid at all costs... Sea Point/Camps Bay; a bit far out of the way??

Just want some realistic ideas. Thanks!!

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,069 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days in Cape Town - where to stay? Too much advice...

Waterfront might be a waste of money for you.. though this one - http://www.bwl.co.za/ - might catch your fancy. Used to be a prison.. now a moderately priced hotel, as it should be. Recent reviews are 3-star, which suits it very well. The Waterfront would suit your needs because of the great variety of places to eat.. even in the big Mall. Otherwise, I would pick Camps Bay if you're in town when weather is good, or City Centre anytime. But try not to get too close to Long Street bars.. They DO cater to folks who drink too much, party too loud.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,711 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days in Cape Town - where to stay? Too much advice...

The reason why there is so much conflicting advice is because visitors have different requirements.

I would not stay in the city centre. If you are budget conscious, there are several lovely Bed and Breakfasts within walking distance of The Waterfront.

Take a look at www.antrimvilla.com in Three Anchor Bay.

Both Waterfront and Camps Bay are safe; I would recommend a four star establishment. For options, look at www.booking.com.

Edited: 19 March 2011, 18:03
Sunderland, UK
Level Contributor
42 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days in Cape Town - where to stay? Too much advice...

Have just (Feb) stayed at the Protea Fire & Ice! in Cape Town for 5 days and would suggest you have a look at this hotel.

It's quite trendy in design and about 5 minutes walk fom Long Street. We felt quite safe (Wife & I in our 40's) walking to and from in the evening for meals / drinks etc.,

I think as long as you are reasonably sensible about things, (which I would expect having spent time in big UK cities), e.g. no big cameras / flashy jewellery on display, you will have no trouble.

The V&A area is very touristy although worth some of your time, but you will find a nice mix of locals, SA tourists and international travellers in the Long Street area.

The V& A is about 30 minutes walk or 10 mins taxi for 50 rand. OK to walk during the day, but I would certainly get a taxi back if you eat down there in the evenings.

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,154 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days in Cape Town - where to stay? Too much advice...

You will get conflicting advice because we all have different ideas on where its nice to stay. Taking into account your age group AND depending on the time of year I would definitely choose Camps Bay first then Waterfront 2nd, Mouille Point or Green Point 3rd, De Waterkant 4th (or 3rd) and City centre NEVER!

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
946 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 days in Cape Town - where to stay? Too much advice...

We visited CPT in Feb this year and were put up at Villa Zest in Green Point. Fabulous B&B and good location, but we found ourselves spending most of our days in the Camps Bay area and would look to live there when we return in Feb 2012. V&A is great for a day or two but the attractions there are very generic and can be found anywhere in the world. On the other hand Camps Bay with its bars, restaurants, buzz, beach, scenery, etc was far more interesting for us and we are in our 30's.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,681 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 days in Cape Town - where to stay? Too much advice...

Hi there I stayed in Sea point about a block from the beach. Its a really nice area and I felt very safe there. I walked a lot and never felt threatened. Cape Town is an amazing city and I met people with tales to tell like you do in any bit city, but wherever you go you will come across that. i am a single female and travel a lot on my own. Best advise I ever had was confidence. Muggers are looking for easy targets. If you look confident and like you know where you are going this puts you at a bit advantage. You will have a great time whereever you decide to stay. CPT is a stunning city.

have a great trip

7. Re: 3 days in Cape Town - where to stay? Too much advice...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 01:17