We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wine day trip

Vancouver
Level Contributor
89 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Wine day trip

we will be in Capetown in late April. Have seen many threads on wine but getting confused with the number of different opinions and suggestions.

We like sparkling wines, crisp whites and reds like cote du rhone, pinots and zinfandals. (no chardonnay)

we are not too familiar with SA wines and would appreciate some suggestions for wines to try. Very difficult being new in a country and trying to determine what is a good value wine to purchase from the label on the bottle.

on a day wine trip by car from capetown. what are a few wineries to visit - not the big commercial ones but something unique. We have done wine tours in Napa and France. What is a good day to do a wine tour - Friday or Saturday?

appreciates your advice.

Baz Bus - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Hop-On Hop-Off Tours
City Sightseeing
City Tours, Hop-On Hop-Off Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Cape Convoy
Shark Diving, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Lucky and Lost Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
902 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Wine day trip

I know that i'm not answering the question but perhaps i can help solve your problem.

Why don't you consider using a Private Guide. You don't mention how many people you are but a 7 seated vehicle with a guide should cost between R1800.00 and R2100.00 per day.

The additional cost for wine tasting is around R30.00 per person for tasting. Some places don't charge for less than 6 people. A cellar tour is from R30.00 per person.

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wine day trip

Go on a Friday rather than Saturday as wine farms can closer earlier on the Saturday.

You will find lots of excellent 'champagne' called MCC here, hardly any Zinfandel and few pinot noirs in this area. There are lots of excellent sauvignon blancs, chenins and shiraz.

You would get a very good range of styles and quality wine (and restaurants)by just confining your trip to the Constantia Valley just outside of Cape Town.

For wineries in the Stellenbosch/Franschhoek area where the scenery is spectacular, perhaps search the many posts on the subject.

One wine farm that would give you something of everything is Simonsig although it can be busy at times. Another is Graham Beck.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
89 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wine day trip

my wife and I - we prefer to drive as we like our own schedule - stop when we want and go when we want. Getting too old to be on someone else timetable.

will try to visit a few wineries in Stellenbosch area with nice restaurant for lunch.

will go on the friday.

thanks

Cape Town
Level Contributor
733 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Wine day trip

Try Villiera for our version of Champagne (MCC), Tokara for some great whites (wines not sharks) and maybe Fairview for a shiraz blend (might be a bit touristy for you though) Or Ernie Els. Unfortunately most of the best Pinots we produce here are from the Hermanus area which is quite a drive (but a beautiful one) but you could try the pinot at Meerlust.

Just a comment: I am a tour guide so must declare my bias but if you do a private tour with a GOOD guide I am sure you will enjoy the experience more than driving yourself and if you have a private guide, you can do whatever you want at your own pace.

I am however sure you will have a great time whatever you decide to do.

Mark September

Small World Tours

Vancouver
Level Contributor
89 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wine day trip

Friend of a Friend who was a professor at the Stellenbosch University ( now in Vancouver at the wine institute research center ) has recommended we try Tocara (spelling?) Winery. He said they have fantastic food and Thelema Winery- great wines

Mark

private tour might be a consideration as means we will not have to drive back after a day of wine tasting and long lunch.

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wine day trip

I expect things have changed if your friend has been away more than a year, but Tokara is a good choice - the chef has chaged but the food is certainly worth trying and the view remains! (the previous chef now has a restaurant in Stellenbosch (Casparus in Dorp Street) which is also worth a vist!

Thelema wines are also very good and now across the road you have Delaire which has two restaurants and a lovely tasting room with excellent views. So you are absolutely spoilt for choice!

Greater Manchester
Level Contributor
159 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Wine day trip

Hi Hankvancouver – I can definitely recommend having a private guide for a wine tasting trip, having done exactly that in November. I’ve visited Cape Town several times and am reasonably familiar with the area, but having a guide meant that we (just two of us) didn’t need to worry about driving after wine tasting! I must admit I too was a bit sceptical about having a guide, but the big advantage of having a private guide rather than an organised trip is the flexibility.

Our guide John (Farthing) was very amenable and flexible and adjusted to whatever we wanted to do. He suggested wineries after finding out our likes and dislikes and they were all very interesting and very different from each other. When we decided part way through that we only wanted to visit three (instead of the four we'd planned) he simply adjusted the schedule.

You can see John’s details on his website at http://www.kestrelservices.co.za/. I discovered him though recommendations on Trip Adviser and communicated with him by e-mail before our holiday.

One of the wineries we visited was Simonsig, which Macsym mentions above, and which does very good sparkling wine. I can also recommend Indochine at Delaire for lunch – excellent food and stunning views.

Hope you have a fabulous holiday!

JSCAPM

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wine day trip

What is this - a wine post and I haven't said anything yet (LOL)

I will not get involved in the DIY or guided tour debate - I am sure that there are some good guides out there - personally all I need is a Platter Guide

You need first to decide which wine area you want to visit = given all the stated tastes you have then I would agree that Stellenbosch is probably the best so now we are down to about 100 wineries !!

For sparkling wine and Rhone style wine then Simonsig is a great idea - They should have the Kaapse Vonkel available for tasting but if you ask very nicely you may taste their deluxe Cuvee Royale - they also make an interesting Rose sparkler - On the Rhone style the Merindol Shiraz is much closer to Cote Rotie than it is to the Barossa Valley - excellent (PS I also recommend the Redhill Pinotage - if this is a variety you are not familiar with do try it)

For Pinot Noir, I absolutely agree with Mark - the Meerlust PN is arguably the best Pinot in this locale.

For lunch I also agree with the previous advice re either Tokara or Delaire which is such a beautiful spot. Thelema is also very attractive and is probably best known for its Cabernet Sauvignon.

Zinfandel is a bit thin on the ground - if you have time try Glen Carlou (they also have Hess wines to taste here)

For crisp whites I actually think the Constantia area is a better bet (another day perhaps). A number of superb Sauvignon Blancs - my personal fave is Klein Constantia Perderblokke

Vancouver
Level Contributor
89 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wine day trip

thanks for the excellent advice - wine is a hot topic. we now have a game plan for our day in Stellenboch on a friday with several choices for a nice leisurely lunch.

Have been using the forums for ideas for our SA trip - has helped to build an understanding of what to expect and places to visit. 12 more sleeps until we leave.

thanks to all contributors who answer questions about capetown, durban, KZN, Kruger and Hazel view .

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
4,437 posts
576 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wine day trip

Hi

A wine thread and I've not commented either! I have to agree with BTM in that I prefer to do my own tour! Just throw a coin in the air to decide who is the spitter of the day!

Some good advise already. I agree with Simonsig, Tokara and Delaire (all 3 being good choices for lunch). Not so sure I would recommend Thelema. I love their wines, but IMO a very poor tasting experience, although their Sutherland range produces excellent crisp whites from my favourite white wine area around Elgin. Tokara also has wines from this area. Sorry have to disagree with you about the best crisp white wine area BTM (lol)....

Rustenberg another one of my favourites.

If you are stopping for lunch, then 6 is probably a good number to aim for

Use www.wineroute.co.za to help you plan your day

Lisa