We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inexpensive hotel for one night city center?

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
728 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Inexpensive hotel for one night city center?

We arrive in CPT at around 1:30 pm and we start a birding tour the following morning. So I thought we may as well go into town (rather than staying near the airport, where we'd have nothing to do and no place to eat dinner!)

We want to keep this under $100 US so not more than 700 Zar. Don't need luxury, just somewhere comfortable and safe and within walking of some restaurants. So far I've found two places that looks like possibles: Holiday Inn Express ($87) and Hotel on St. Georges ($59 on some aggregate booking sites), both on the St. Georges pedestrian mall.

Any other suggestions? Any thoughts on these two? Is that a good location? (We will be picked up the next morning for our tour, wherever we stay.)

1. Re: Inexpensive hotel for one night city center?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2011, 01:01
McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Inexpensive hotel for one night city center?

I would go for the Holiday Inn Express, its new and decent. Situated close to lots of restaurant options.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
728 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Inexpensive hotel for one night city center?

That's two votes for Holiday Inn :) I think I will go with that--I was leaning towards it anyway but wanted some confirmation that it was the right choice ;)

any recommendations for a nice meal in that area? Again, inexpensive, nothing fancy, we will probably be exhausted after 24 hours of traveling (but hungry!)

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Inexpensive hotel for one night city center?

Doppio Zero diagonally across pedestrianised St Georges Mall from the HI will probably suit you. It is inexpensive and friendly with a good range of items on the menu.

There are lots of other choices close by such as Brio (very Romantic and lovely interior), Mint (part of Taj Hotel), Bukhara (Indian) Haiku (Asian) but these will all be more expensive. There is also a Chinese restaurant on the ground floor of the HI but don't know what it is like.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,685 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Inexpensive hotel for one night city center?

Hi,

You can get better rates for Holiday Inn Express on www.booking.com. R680 non-refundable.

Also during June and July you could stay at the Citylodge, V & A Waterfront and get roughly 50% off on their Bid2Stay deal. Go to www.citylodge.co.za. The normal winter rate is around R1300 per night.

Edited: 28 May 2011, 05:57
McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Inexpensive hotel for one night city center?

Tourist Guide, it rather depends when the OP plans to visit!

The lowest internet rate for Holiday Inns is always available on their own website (guaranteed)

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,685 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Inexpensive hotel for one night city center?

Hi,

I just typed in two random dates in June and July and got identical rates (non-refundable) on www.booking.com and www.hiexpress.com.

Edited: 28 May 2011, 07:30
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
728 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Inexpensive hotel for one night city center?

Thanks for the tips. Yes, I've also gotten the identical rates for the HI at booking.com and their own website. The pre-paid rate is $87 US (R680.) We are going in August.

Doppio Zero looks like it would be fine for dinner--I looked at their web site. We won't want anything fancy as I'm sure we'll be comatose :)

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
728 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Inexpensive hotel for one night city center?

Oh, but now I just checked the City Lodge V&A Waterfront and there's a special rate with a promotional code CTWINTER11--only R700. So now I'm wondering if that would be a nicer location! I really hadn't thought there would be anything reasonable at the waterfront so I hadn't even checked.

So Holiday Inn or City Lodge??

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,685 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Inexpensive hotel for one night city center?

My preference would be City Lodge. It is within short walking distance of the Waterfront and R20 difference is minimal.