We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Capetown with my daughter...Need Advice!!!

Morris Plains, NJ
Level Contributor
26 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling to Capetown with my daughter...Need Advice!!!

My daughter (24) & I will be traveling to Capetown in February 2012. We will spend a few days driving on route 62 to Sanbona Wildlife Reserve, then back to Capetown for 3 days. Are there any special, out of the ordinary safety precautions for two women traveling alone? I mean besides the usual common sense? Also, we were thinking of staying at he Cape Heritage Hotel at Heritage Square in Capetown. Are there any safety issues with this area? It seems to have a lot more charm than the overpriced hotels at the V&A Waterfront.

The only posts I can find about safety in Capetown are at least five years old.

PLEASE RESPOND WITH ADVICE. THANKS!!!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,823 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to Capetown with my daughter...Need Advice!!!

When you put in "safety" in the search box here, also tick the "sort by" box, choosing sort by "DATE", rather than relevance. You'll find that the issue comes up every second day or so.

I don't think you need take any special safety precautions for Cape Town.

Find out about car guards, and use them. They provide a useful service, although at first sight, they may not be what you expected.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
3,973 posts
552 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to Capetown with my daughter...Need Advice!!!

The question of safety comes up frequently on here. Not searched, but there are probably some from 5 weeks ago. Anyway just to put your mind at rest, I have done 3 trips to the Cape and will be returning in 2012 for my 4th. I always travel with a female friend and we have never once felt in any danger. I always take the usual precautions, like take 2 credit cards and leav on in the safe, never carry large amounts of cash, don't flash your jewellery or cameras around. However I would do all these in most major cities in the world. When in Cape Town, I happily walk around during the day but at night take a taxi or drive. So as you say, just use your common sense!

You are correct that Heritage Hotel has more charm than the waterfront. Also have a look at guest houses in Cape Town. They offer surprisingly good value.

Route 62 is very rural and you will be looking for other cars!! No safety worries here either.

You will have a wonderful and safe time

Lisa

Morris Plains, NJ
Level Contributor
26 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to Capetown with my daughter...Need Advice!!!

What are car guards? I've never heard of them.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,823 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to Capetown with my daughter...Need Advice!!!

You could put the term in the search box.... :-)

They are people, often desperate for work, who will look after your car while you go sight-seeing or shopping / dining.

They are decent, law-abiding people and may have a family to support. It's normal to give them a few rand of a tip. If they want it, I also offer some food if I have some, eg biltong. They often wear bright vests and may be sponsored by a local shop.

The shops and shoppers benefit as shoppers know their car is safe; and the guard is doing something worthwhile. Unemployment is high in South Africa.

I just mention it so you are not puzzled when someone walks up to and asks if they can" watch your car".

Edited: 24 June 2011, 14:04
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
36 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling to Capetown with my daughter...Need Advice!!!

Common sense should be enough, i.e. jewelry, cameras, etc, like any other world city.

Avoid quiet alleys in the city center, and carry your bag across your body.

When driving, always lock the doors as you get in and don't put bags on the passenger seat. Just to be safe.

I'm a petite female and I walk around the city center every day for the last four years. Never been mugged or stolen from.

6. Re: Traveling to Capetown with my daughter...Need Advice!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 03:18