We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rands

Which Cape Town hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
essex
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
rands

can any one give me the run down on the rand, value of coins and notes, coins from?to and notes smallest to largest? many thanks

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,081 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: rands

Coins : 5c - 10c - 20c - 50c - R1 - R2 - R5 (two types of the R5 in circulation)

Notes : R10 - R20 - R50 - R100 - R200

Edited: 28 July 2011, 15:45
Somerset
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: rands

In SA today you would get about 10.9 rands to £1 in the UK today around 10.2 rands to £1. The exchange rate can vary daily of course..

The highest denomination note is 200 rands, then there are 100/50/20/10 rand notes (each has a picture of one of the Big 5 animals on them)

Then there are 5/2/1 rand coins. The rand is further sub-divided into cents with 100 cents to the rand with a variety of denominations.

The most convenient way to get rands is to use an ATM in South Africa. Again it would depend on the type of Debit Card you use as the charges vary from card to card.

essex
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rands

thank you for your quick reply, much obliged,i now no what to ask my bank for and not get lumbered with just high valued notes,

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rands

One interesting observation about SA coinage

The 5 rand coin (worth about £0.52 in the UK) is almost identical to the 2 euro coin (worth about £1.80 in the UK)

Purely by accident, of course !!, I noticed this at Dublin Airport on our way home from Cape Town in May and "accidently" inserted one, or two, or more into a vending machine

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,081 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: rands

No need to get much cash from your bank before you go - unless you want to feed Euro vending machines with R5 coins!!!

As somerset indicates it is better to take a UK bank debit card and get cash from ATMs in SA - see the parallel thread to this - tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293740-i9186-k468…

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,942 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rands

Most of the things that you would like to buy is rounded off to the nearest note rand value. So to deal with coins will not be needed, just have enough R10, R20, R50 and R100 notes. That will help you get along and when you will purchase something you will get change in coins that you can use again on a later stage that might come in handy.

Hank - Ulungele Tours and Safari's.

essex
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: rands

once again thank you to you all for the advice, six months and counting, cant wait,

8. Re: rands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 22:17