We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Township Tours - Want your experience with package tours

Michigan
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Township Tours - Want your experience with package tours

I am interested in exploring the Townships, and am trying to decide whether to do this via a package tour, or by exploration by myself on foot. I understand that the Hop On Hop Off bus goes past this area on the red tour, so potentially I could do it on foot. However, a package tour also has appeal, but which company should I use?

In a recent message (URL below), the writer said that she was unhappy with the Township package tour provided by Coffeebeans Routes.

(tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1722390-i15573-k4…)

I'd like to hear from people about their experience with tour companies or people who have done this on foot without a tour.

Thanks,

Nare

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,253 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Township Tours - Want your experience with package tours

One of the ways to DIY is to go to Mzolis on a Sunday. sa-venues.com/attractionswc/mzolis-place.htm

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,011 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Township Tours - Want your experience with package tours

Hi there

You should try these guys in Cape Town, they specialize in Township Tours. www.inkululekotours.co.za and there email is: info@inkululekotours.co.za . They work with some of the biggest Hotels in Cape Town and are very well known in and around the City.

Regards

Hank - Ulungele Tours & Safari's

Vancouver
Level Contributor
87 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Township Tours - Want your experience with package tours

my wife and I were in Capetown in May and wanted to experience a township tour with a company that was owned and operated by individuals who lived in the townships. Trying to support a local business. We used Khonaye Tuswa Camissa Operations at ops@gocamissa.co.za | www.gocamissa.co.za

she was very knowledgeable and had a very informative half day tour. She picked up at the hotel and delivered us back after the tour.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
87 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Township Tours - Want your experience with package tours

my wife and I were in Capetown in May and wanted to experience a township tour with a company that was owned and operated by individuals who lived in the townships. Trying to support a local business. We used Khonaye Tuswa Camissa Operations at ops@gocamissa.co.za | www.gocamissa.co.za

she was very knowledgeable and had a very informative half day tour. She picked up at the hotel and delivered us back after the tour.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
733 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Township Tours - Want your experience with package tours

I am a tour guide but never guide on township tours myself as I believe it is very important to have a guide that has strong ties with the communities that will be visited and can give a personal insight into the lives and experiences of the people living there.

As a result, I have driven for a LOT of township guides on these tours and by FAR the best of these was Khonaye of Camissa (by the way Hankvancouver, I think you probably had Khonayes wife, Samantha as your guide as Khonaye is a guy). I have not done a tour with Samantha but many of my clients have and I received very good feedback about her too.

Mark September

Small World Tours

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,011 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Township Tours - Want your experience with package tours

The guys that i recommended are from the Townhips and started this Tourism Company with the idea in mind, to bring you closer to reality of the Townships. They will be able to give you first hand experience about the township life and how they are helping themselfs to do better.

Hank - Ulungele Tours & Safari's

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
280 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Township Tours - Want your experience with package tours

This is not something you can do on your own. You need to get a guide and it needs to be someone with local connections. Driving through the townships will not give you a really good understanding of what is happening. I was there in August and had an incredible tour with Ukubona Africa Tours (www.ukobonaafricatours.co.za). We were taken to a home and the owner walked with us through the township for as long as we wanted to walk, telling us about everything along the way. We also had a chance to eat in a very interesting place within the township. I would highly recommend them

Long Island NY
Level Contributor
791 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Township Tours - Want your experience with package tours

We also used Camissa and were very happy. It is owned by someone who has lived there. The actual walking tour of the township is given by someone from the community. We had a truely eyeopening experience and felt as if we were also helping to support the community.

9. Re: Township Tours - Want your experience with package tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2012, 21:15