We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Robbins Island

Which Cape Town hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
561 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Robbins Island

Hi,

I am in Capetown for 3 days in November. One day will be a full day guided tour of the cape and such and I was thinking of going to Table Mountain the late afternoon of which I arrive (weather permitting). I have been reading mixed reviews about whether going to Robin Island is worthwhile or if it more a waste of time and money these days. Obviously, I would like to see/ experience where Mr. Mandela spent so many years but with my limited time I am wondering if it may be better spent elsewhere (some friends of mine have said visitin his home in Johannesberg is actually more interesting.. alas.. I am in JHB for about 12 hours so that's impossible too).

Thoughts?

phila
Level Contributor
277 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Robbins Island

Is it three full days and four nights or just three nights?

If the latter, very difficult to get all that done. You might squeak by if you have four nights. I didn't do it when I had three nights, and I'm wondering how I could have. I also didn't particularly miss it though I am a huge Mandela fan and read his autobiography.

Alternative if you really have that much time and are interested in the social-political side of things include the District 6 museum and a township tour.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,937 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Robbins Island

Hi there

It is a must do when being in Cape Town and also when having the time to do so. Try to fit it in with your schedule and make it worth your while.

Regards

Hank - Ulungele Tours & Safari's

New York
Level Contributor
561 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Robbins Island

I arrive into CapeTown at 1pm on a Saturday and then leave Capetown on leave on Tuesday early AM. Have a full day tour planned on Sunday. So really.. I have Monday b/c I am going to go to Table Mountain on the Saturday I arrive. Yikes!

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,937 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Robbins Island

Book your ticket before you arrive in Cape Town. If the boat gets cancelled for the day, you can always get your money back. I will keep my fingers cross for you do get to do Robbin Island.

Regards

Hank - Ulungele Tours & Safari's

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,068 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Robbins Island

Just to be a little pedantic. It's not Robbins Island, Robin Island or Robbin Island!

It's "Robben" Island - Dutch/Afrikaans for "Seal"!

Edited: 13 September 2011, 00:54
Durham, North...
Level Contributor
280 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Robbins Island

Robben Island is a lot more than just the place Mandela spent 18 of his 27 imprisoned years. There were many other important prisoners and an entire process for how political activism occurred there, The tours are given by former inmates, who clearly have a unique perspective. If you had to choose between a really good township tour and Robben Island I would take the township tour plus District Six Museum, but the tour needs to be a good one where you stop there with a resident and walk around with then, not just driving through.

7. Re: Robbins Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 18:16