We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape Town in July and August?

Which Cape Town hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
34 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Cape Town in July and August?

Is it worth going to Cape town in July/ August? We would love to go there but don't really fancy bad weather. We are stuck with this time of year because of our jobs. This will be part of a 3 to 4 week trip in southern africa. really struggling to choose where to go. We love wildlife and great scenery and so far have Botswana, Drakensburg, Victoria Falls, Kruger and Namibia in the mix . We know we can't do it all but my husbnd has just decided he really wants to see Cpae Town and whales. Shall we save this untill we are retired in 5 years or so?

Help appreciated i am feeling overwhelmed with the choices.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,081 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape Town in July and August?

Honestly it is worth coming to Cape Town at any time of the year. There is a lot to see and do at all times of the year.

Some years - this year being one - we have fantastic weather in July and August. This year we had many days of unbroken sunshine and temperatures into the 20s - even high 20s in July!

However this is not the norm. Although there are always plenty of dry and sunny days you might get a run of 4 or 5 days when it is dull and rainy. No consolation to say that, even on average, there are 21/22 days in each of these months when it doesn't rain - if these days coincide with your holiday. But, as I say, even when it rains this is one of the worlds great cities.

Don't wait until your retirement to discover Cape Town. Come and find it's delights and wonderful lifestyle. Then, when you retire (or before) just move here! That's what we did!

UK
Level Contributor
34 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape Town in July and August?

Thank you for your encouragement. Would you recommend Hermanus for the whales too?

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,962 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape Town in July and August?

Hi there

August is the month for the whales, but they can arrive a bit late sometimes. Like this year they were very late and most of them only started to arrive or were spotted in the second week of September. It depends, but Hermanus is the best place to really spot them.

Regards

Hank - Ulungele Tours & Safari's

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,081 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cape Town in July and August?

For these reasons better to put Cape Town at the end of your itinerary rather than the begining.

Kent
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cape Town in July and August?

Namibia is great in July but nights get chilly quickly.

Whales can be seen from June to December, in September there is a whale week festival at Hermanus but it's so busy can take an hour to get into the town. Other great places to spot them are De Kelders & False Bay.

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cape Town in July and August?

We too are stuck with travelling to South Africa in July/August. However, this has never stopped us having a great time over the last 20 years. Recently, we have branched out and included Namibia, Botswana and Zambia. Even when camping we have never suffered too much (certainly no more so than the UK even in the summer!). Take a hot water bottle for cold desert nights, layers of clothing that can be adjusted as the day warms up/cools down and a positive attitude. It will pay off.

You will need to think about editting down your wish list though IMO. So much to do, so little time, eh?

Dorset
Level Contributor
73 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cape Town in July and August?

Visit the flowers in theWestern/ Northern Cape in July/August - flowering times vary, but you would be very unlucky not to see incredible displays somewhere in the area. Worth seeing even if you are not "flower people" - and you can always walk in the Cederberg wilderness. Starting off from Southern Namibia - Sossusvlei is magical - and travelling through Namaqualand and on to Cape Town will provide desert, succulent Karoo, said flowers, mountains. Then Cape Town. De Kelders had lots of whales this year by the end of August and I could see them from my B&B without getting out of bed!. Quieter than Hermanus and Gansbaai - few mintues by car - has the usual facilities. Be warned though that it's low season. Some places still regard it as Winter. Weather was pretty much like a UK summer, except a touch warmer in fact.

UK
Level Contributor
34 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cape Town in July and August?

Wow you people are so helpful. Thank you so much. Lots to think about. My husband wll be delighted as he is very keen for us to go to Cape Town. I love the idea of the flowers too -and whales without getting out of bed -amazing!

I realise we won't be able to do it all - we will have to return but I do have a few more ideas now.

9. Re: Cape Town in July and August?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 10:21