We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for Cape town 3-4 days? Garden Route 2-3 days?

Dubai, United Arab...
13 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary for Cape town 3-4 days? Garden Route 2-3 days?

Day 1 - get in to Cape Town early evening, check-in, hang about V&A

Day 2 - Table mountain, Botanical gardens, Robben Island, V&A

Day 3&4 - Peninsula drive; false bay, Chapman's Peak Drive, hout bay, Noordhoek, cape of good hope and cape point, boulder beach, simons town, camps bay.

Question: can I do day 3&4 itinerary in one day, i.e day 3 and save a day.

Question: what is the order/best route to do the peninsula drive, i found some of the places to be in opposite directions.

Day 5; Leave cape town early in the a.m. head to Hermanus, hang about for an hour or so, later head to Mossel Bay (4.5hrs), then drive to Oudtshoorn (1.5hrs, then drive to Knysna (2 hours) over night in knysna.

Question: are the ostrich farms and cango caves worth checkin out?)

Day 6 - check out Knsyna for a couple of hours, drive to Plettenberg bay ( 0.5hrs) later drive to Jeffery bay (2 hours) drive to Port Elizabeth (1.5hours) over night in PE.

Next morning fly out to Durban. Am I missing out anything, is it too cramped?

Apologies for the trouble. Be nice if I can have your advice at the earliest convenience, I can do the necessary bookings accordingly.

Thank you

Dorset
Level Contributor
73 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary for Cape town 3-4 days? Garden Route 2-3 days?

Yes, you can do days 3 & 4 in one day (unless you plan to walk from Cape Point to the Cape of Good Hope or vice versa!)

No expert, but I did the peninsula drive downwards West, back along the East side. In one day, missing out Hout Bay but stopping for a meal at Kalk Bay and spending hours photographing cute penguins.

I'm assuming you are going in whale season, re Hermanus. Ostrich farms don't do anything for me nor caves, so no comment.

Personally I would skip Mossel Bay and head up to Route 62 to get to the Oudtshoorn area. Stay overnight using your saved day and drive the Swartberg pass if possible.

Driving from Knysna to PE: try to pull in Storms River Mouth and/or Nature's Valley, unless you actually want to surf at Jeffery's Bay.

Btw, day 1 does look a bit cramped if you are going to do justice to the Kirstenbosch and get to and from Robben island and do Table Mountain other than a quick trip up and down.

You are trying to do the GR in 2 days: lot of driving, not much time to enjoy some wonderful scenery.

Dubai, United Arab...
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary for Cape town 3-4 days? Garden Route 2-3 days?

Hi there, thanks for the heads up. I will need to do your head in a wee bit more, so pls. bear with me.

1) is it advisable to walk from cape point to cape of good hope, I did'nt know I could, so if the walk isn't really special, I shall give it a miss and drive instead.

2) I'm visiting in early Nov. is it whale season, if im not mistaken i think its the latter part of the season?

3) If Im not doing the caves or the Ostrich farm (neither of watch catch my fancy) do i still need to drive to/by Oudtshoorn what else is there to see/do there or is it simply the landscape? Also are suggesting I stay overnight at Oudtshoorn and do the Swartberg pass the following morning en route Knysna?

4) I wish i could surf, unfortunately i cant, i guess Jeffreys bay is not happening then is it? I read that its a beautiful beach/sight hence the plan to visit. what you reckon?

5) How much time do u suggest i need for table mountain, i was thinking a couple of hours, seeing as im tight on time, i thought of doing the cable up/down as opposed to climbing. 8am - 10 am

how long would you say i need at the gardens (10.30 - 12.30 ) and how long for the robben island trip (1pm ferry) ?

It does appear like im cutting it too tight isnt it? what do you suggest, cuz day 2 is all about the peninsula drive.

I guess i have to choose between stretching CT across 3 full days or do it in 2 and do the garden route in 3.

As for the garden route, could you pls. tell me which are the main spots to really stop and admire?

At this point I feel i should do CT over 3 days and the GR over 2 days, your input is much needed nonetheless…

thanks again mate.. much appreciated...

Dubai, United Arab...
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary for Cape town 3-4 days? Garden Route 2-3 days?

The Swartberg pass is rough terrain, Im not sure the mid-size saloon will be able to hack it, what you reckon? also i think if im on tight schedule, the driving through the swartberg pass will slow me down ?

As regards the storms river mouth and natures valley are these hiking trails which need time, something i dont have much of? or can i just stop by for a bit and get a good feel of the place?

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,034 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary for Cape town 3-4 days? Garden Route 2-3 days?

Hi there

1)Yes you can walk from Cape Point to Cape of Good Hope, but you will be walking downwards. On your return you will then have to hike back up again. Rather do the walk to the top of the light house from the parking station at Cape Point, much better than the other route. You can also drive to the Cape Of Good Hope beacon, much better too.

2)It is the late part of whale viewing but you might just be in for a surprise.

3)You can miss the caves and the ostrich farms if you are not really in to it. The drive over the Swartberg Mountain Pass, is in the opposite direction of Knysna. You will have to drive over the mountain pass and make a detour to get back to drive to Knysna. Worth the trip thow, but just a long drive.

4)Jeffreys Bay, worth a stop over on your way to Port Elizabeth.

5)You will need at least about few hours, and make sure to go as early as possible to make it up to the top. Robbin Island you can also do in the same day as the Table Mountain, enjoy.

6)You can do Cape Town in 3days if the weather plays a long with you plans. I just had a guest in Cape Town that did The Table Mountain, The City Tour with the Red Hop on Hop off bus, Robbin Island, The Peninsula and the Wine Lands in 2days. The weather was also in her favour but she did it with in 2days.

7)For the Garden Route make Knysna your only stop. Spend your days there and travel to the surrounds with your car. Everything that you need to do, is only a 30min drive away.

Regards

Hank - Ulungele Tours & Safari's

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
548 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary for Cape town 3-4 days? Garden Route 2-3 days?

Hi there. We just returned from South Africa where we did something similar to what you're planning but in the opposite direction. We flew in to Port Elizabeth where we stayed one night, then took 2 days to drive the Garden Route to Cape Town where we stayed 3 days.

The weather was in our favour so we managed to the peninsula tour with a short detour to Kirstenbosch Gardens in 1 day and the Table Mountains plus west coast tour to see the wild flowers in another day. It's a lot of driving but it's doable.

Regarding the Garden Route, agree with the first poster to stop by at the Storms River Mouth (in the National Park, not the village). It's my favourite place along the Garden Route.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
4,116 posts
555 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary for Cape town 3-4 days? Garden Route 2-3 days?

Agree with 2 other posters. Try to fit in Storms River Mouth - and walk over the suspension bridge. Very dramatic scenery around here. The forests literally go right down to the sea. Unless you are into surfing, I would give Jeffrey's Bay a miss. A few years ago we called in on the way past. Stayed for a coffee and left! Much better to spend time at Storms River

Lisa

Dorset
Level Contributor
73 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary for Cape town 3-4 days? Garden Route 2-3 days?

You have wonderful views of the Cape of Good Hope from Cape Point - in the right weather, deep blue ocean, emerald waves coming into a beautiful pale sand bay. As has been said, you could drive to both.

Re Oudtshoorn: Route 62 is simply beautiful. Yes, the Swartberg pass is out of your way, but I drove from Groenfontein, near Calitzdorp (wonderful place to overnight - the Retreat at Groenfontein, but worth much more than one night) over the Swartberg and down to Knysna, arriving in time for the sunset (6pm) over the lagoon. Lunch in De Rust. In a VW Polo that had seen better days, stuffed full of luggage..

Nature's Valley: 15 minutes or so from the N2 (from memory, which is not always accurate, but it's not far). Wonderful empty beach, lagoon, so you can just stop off for a while, although there are trails. A chill out place. Few facilities. Storms River Mouth also not far from the N2, good facilties, spectacular scenery. Worth an hour or two at least and again there are trails. At present one suspension bridge is closed but the other is open and worth a short hike.

The Table Mountain/Kirstenbosch/Robben Island looks a bit hectic. Weather is a factor: the usual tip is to go up Table Mountain the first time the weather is good, whatever your plans.

8. Re: Itinerary for Cape town 3-4 days? Garden Route 2-3 days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 08:17