We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LOTS of questions about CT holiday

North Wales
Level Contributor
200 posts
1 review
Save Topic
LOTS of questions about CT holiday

Hi there, I've been lucky enough to win a holiday to CT (dates to be decided) and I've got loads of questions.

We are staying 4 nights at Protea Hotel President then moving to Franschhloek Protea Hotel for 2 nights (car hire included). How easy is it to drive from the airport to the 1st hotel? And then how easy is it to drive from the 1st hotel to the 2nd hotel? Am I right in saying that people drive on the left-hand side of the road as they do in the UK? (hope so!!).

The 1st hotel - how far is it from here to get to V&A Waterfront? This place looks amazing, would we need to drive there? Or could we use public transport?

We're also thinking about visiting Robben island and going up Table Mountain, not sure what else to do.

Any more tips/itinerary ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks very much x

Edited: 03 November 2011, 15:15
Cape Town
Level Contributor
58 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LOTS of questions about CT holiday

Hi Dizzy,

Congrats on your prize!! Thats really great!!

I know both those properties and they are lovely and in a good location.

The airport is approx 20 minutes from the Cape Town centre (President).

Franschhoek is approx 45 minutes drive from the President.

The President is approx 5 minutes drive to the V&A Waterfront. You can drive or the hotel could provide you with a transfer.

And YES, we do drive on the Left side on the road.

There are tons and tons of things to do and see in Cape town, and going up Table Mountain is certainly one of them. Some other ideas are Cape Point, Boulders Beach (penguin colony),Chapmans Peak drive, Bloubergstrand beach/restaurants (for the most beautiful view of Robben Island+T.Mountain), Camps Bay beach/restaurants etc.etc.

We also have many award winning restaurants, so hope your not dieting!!

If your looking to do something different, id highly recommend a Home-dinner during one of your evenings.

You have dinner at a hosts home and get to meet the locals and experience South african food. Very cool & fun concept.

http://www.dinewithalocal.co.za

You are more than welcome to email me if you need any further info or assistance. I am a born and bred Cape town girl and always keen to help out our visitors! kim@mushindasa.com

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,113 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: LOTS of questions about CT holiday

I think that CTF is a bit optimistic on driving times. UK flights arrive early morning so you pitch onto the Motorway from the airport to the city in the rush-hour. It is easy motorway driving but just a bit slower! I would schedule 40mins to the President as you have to go right through the city to the Atlantic Coast.

Bantry Bay to Franschhoek is actually 90kms and again you have to come back right through the city. Over 1hr outside peak times maybe 90 mins at rush hours. But again an easy drive - part motorway, part country roads.

Cape Town traffic is not very heavy even at rush hours, but you need to schedule longer then.

Driving from the President to the Waterfront is easy and they do have a huge amount of undercover parking there - at R10 (75p) for 4 hours much cheaper than the UK. Fuel is also a lot cheaper. However if you prefer there is a bus which leaves from right outside the President hotel to the Waterfront. Finishes about 9pm though I think.

CTF has given you lots of things to see. Depends on your interests but I would add Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens, Cape Town Castle (dating from 1660), the 2010 World Cup Football Stadium and Biodiversity Park. Lots of activity stuff around the city from Surfing (Board and Kite), Abseiling, Paragliding, Sea Kayaking and loads of greatr Hiking - from one hour strolls in Country Parks to serious mountaineering and overnight hikes.

Then a couple of hours drive from either Cape Town or Franschhoek is the centre of White Shark Cage Diving for a unique experience. Unfortunately you sound like you might be outside Whale Season - July-November.

Add to all this loads of nightlife from great restaurants, clubs and bars to theatre, concerts, opera and ballet. Maybe fit in a Sunday afternoon outdoor concert at Kirstenbosch Gardens a great Cape Town institution.

Then you have over 300 wine estates that you can visit within an hour or so of Franschhoek. Great Wines, super restaurants, historic architecture and magnificent scenery.

You will have a great time. Keep asking questions here.

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LOTS of questions about CT holiday

Hi CapetonianF - I notice you only have 9 posts or answers spanning a few years yet you have recommended "dinewithlocal" on the last few posts . Are you involved in that business.?

Kent
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: LOTS of questions about CT holiday

What a great prize :0) If dates are to be decided think about going during the whale season.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
58 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LOTS of questions about CT holiday

Hi Diva,

No...im not but had some overseas friends do it recently and they just raved about it!!

I also heard it on the radio last week and think its such a cool new idea, so id love others to experience it!

I had some time yestrday so thought id share. Im merely a proud SAfrican, as I can tell you are. :0)

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LOTS of questions about CT holiday

Ok well it would be interesting to know where they eat and with whom - is it at someones home or do thjey go with a local to a restaurant. Find out more and fill us in!

7. Re: LOTS of questions about CT holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 November 2011, 20:35
Edited: 04 November 2011, 20:35
North Wales
Level Contributor
200 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: LOTS of questions about CT holiday

Wow, thank you for your detailed & informative replies, there's a lot to take in. I've also got a few more questions which I hope can be answered.

Do they have taxi's at the V&A Waterfront and is it somewhere that you would go of an evening? Was thinking about going there mid-afternoon for some shopping then have a meal and a wander into the evening so would need to get a taxi back to the hotel.

What's the best way to get from our 1st hotel (Protea Hotel President) to table Mountain? We will have a car but would be happier taking public transport if it's easy. Would table Mountain be a whole day or just a half-day? I'm trying to piece together an itinerary.

We've decided on March and wondered how hot it will be then - we love the heat so I'm hoping it will be gorgeous sunny weather & blue skies.

Any more help would be greatly appreciated, thanks xx

Edited: 04 November 2011, 10:59
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
48 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: LOTS of questions about CT holiday

Tickets tend to sell out for Robben Island. If you're sure about your travel itinerary, you can book ahead online. In my case, I saw tickets available the night before for one sailing. The next morning, I walked to the ticket office at the port an hour before, and snagged a ticket.

10. Re: LOTS of questions about CT holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 05 November 2011, 13:22