We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Casual" restaurants

Which Cape Town hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
217 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
"Casual" restaurants

Hi,

I am looking for a couple "casual" restaurants while we're in Cape Town. What I mean by casual is somewhere local, non-fine dining with good food, and reasonable price.

We do have a couple "nicer" restaurants on our list: Opal Lounge, La Colombe, Tasting Room...but would also like to have some non-fine dining options.

I tried to look at some older posts, but not sure if most of the restaurants recommended are considered "fancy" restaurants. From old posts, some of the ones that I think are casual include Willoughby's, Societi Bistro?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,081 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: "Casual" restaurants

Hi Marcia

I think that this category of restaurants gives you even greater choice than Fine Dining. Some of Cape Town’s very best places fit into this category and there are lots of new places. In the end wherever you are around the city or suburbs you can find a great Casual or Bistro style restaurant for lunch or dinner.

Here is a quick list of a dozen or so places (I could give you close to 100!). Just pick where you are and there's sure to be a place round-the-corner! :

Societi Bistro (Gardens) – consistent food, historic building, good service and creative Wine List

Bistro 1682 @ Steenberg (Constantia) - One of my favourite restaurants of any style in Constantia. Great Food, Wonderful Views, Steenberg Wines just over cellar prices

Dear Me (City Bowl) – lovely casual dining in the city bowll, dinner only on Thursdays

La Boheme (Sea Point) – french style bistro on Main Road

Bistro Bizerca (Foreshore) – more classic French Bistro near the CICC

Willoughbys (Waterfront) – casual fish dining with a Japanese slant. Excellent Sushi.

Il Leone (Green Point/De Waterkant) One of the best Italian Restaurants in Cape Town – open Sunday evenings (unusual)

Sloppy Sams (Green Point) – casual Middle Eastern Restaurant

Takumi (Gardens) – Japanese with possibly the best sushi in Cape Town

Massiomo’s – (Hout Bay) The best Pizza Restaurant in Cape Town (bar none!)

Cassa Labia (Muizenberg) casual Lunch Dinning in a classical French 18th century style interior.

Carne (Lower Gardens) – Great Meat Based restaurant

Marias (Gardens) Small Greek neighbourhood place in a small quiet square.

Sidewalk Café (Gardens) Casual lunch place with great views on the flank of Devil’s Peak.

That’s already too many and I’ve only just got started!

I should also mention a few of the very fastest growing category of lunch places in Cape Town – the Café Bakery. Home Baking, great sandwiches, wonderful cakes and muffins and proper coffee. Springing up all over the place :

Cassis (Newlands) Some of the best sandwiiches and gorgeous cakes on a village sidewalk café

Superette (Woodstock) Meat Sandwiches carved off the bone and great veggie dishes and salads

Origins (De Waterkant) – still the best coffe in Cape Town (South Africa) and also the best muffins

Jasons (City Bowll) Line up with the Models and Media People for you lunchtime uber-sandwich!

Crust (City Bowl/Gardens) – quiet white space with good, cheap lunch menu

Olympia Café and Bakery (Kalk Bay) Probably the Cape Town Original.

Tribecca (Kalk Bay and Constantia) If you can’t get into Olympia. Also opening a new branch in Constantia/Tokai this week.

Again I’d better stop!!

Edited: 30 November 2011, 04:35
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
217 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "Casual" restaurants

PERFECT!

Thanks so much Van_de_Caab, this is exactly what I'm looking for :)

Now I just have to decide which ones to choose!

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,845 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "Casual" restaurants

While I don't disagree with any of VdeC's choices, I think some (e.g. Bizerca Bistro, Carne, Bistro 1682) may fall more into your 'fancy' category. As he says there are plenty of good casual places - so here are just three more for you to consider:

Il Cappero www.ilcappero.co.za - family run authentic Sicilian tucked away in Barrack St (off the tourist trail!)

Cafe Paradiso www.cafeparadiso.co.za - good, inexpensive and a lovely garden terrace

Down South www.downsouthfoodbar.com - a taste of New Orleans, slow-baked ribs, grilled prawns, Jambalaya, Gumbo

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
217 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Casual" restaurants

Thanks macsym, adding your recommendations to my list!

Cape Town
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "Casual" restaurants

And Royale Eatery in Long Street! My favourite place for burgers.

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,845 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "Casual" restaurants

Here is a discussion on burgers in Cape Town....remember to also read others comments. Royale's burgers don't seem to be too popular!

batonage.com/2011/…

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "Casual" restaurants

Thanks guys, I've just copied & pasted your recommendations into my March trip itinerary. I guess neither of you do much cooking!!

Canada
Level Contributor
58 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "Casual" restaurants

Any "casual" seafood restaurants with a view!! :)

and reasonably priced! Now there's a challenge :)

Thanks for any help - taking out a party of 10 people, soon!

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,081 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: "Casual" restaurants

The Lookout Deck in Hout Bay Harbour. Great views sitting right over the Harbour :

http://www.thelookoutdeck.co.za/

Chapmans Peak Hotel on the opposite side of the bay at Hout Bay. Equally great views sitting overlooking the beach :

www.chapmanspeakhotel.co.za/restaurant-e.htm

A bit more upmarket (and more expensive) Harbour House - either the original at Kalk Bay orr the brand new one at the Waterfront :

http://www.harbourhouse.co.za/harbourhouse

food24.com/Restaurants-and-Bars/Restaurants/…

Or the Brass Bell at Kalk Bay. For a party of 10 you may be able to book the whole Pavillion. A private room Glass walled on all sides, right above the ocean :

http://www.brassbell.co.za/index.php

Finally for cheap and cheerful with great views, you could always look at the Ocean Basket at the Waterfront - good Fish and Chips for R37 and the best view in the Waterfront :

dining-out.co.za/member_details-MemberID-212…

Edited: 12 December 2011, 13:33
buenos aires...
Level Contributor
1,727 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: "Casual" restaurants

I'd be interested in your definition of ''casual'' dining. When I think of casual dining, I think of places that reasonably priced, don't take or where one wouldn't need a reservation where the dress code would be - clean and neat and the wine list if there was one would be very limited. Except if the place is a ''must'', I look for good food, reasonable prices, good service (almost non existent where I live) in a not too difficilt to reach location. Prices are important to some.