We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Yanks are coming

Which Cape Town hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lawrence, KS
Level Contributor
43 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
The Yanks are coming

I've got my Kruger Safari all arranged with much gratitude from the folks on Trip Advisor.

My family (my wife, my 21 and 18 year old daughters) are flying from JNB to George on the night of MAY 31 and plan to drive to Cape Town to arrive in the late afternoon June 3.

I hope to stay in Wilderness (about 15 miles from George Airport) on the night of May 31. I need help on where to visit and what to do with towns to stay in on June 1 (FRI) and June 2 (SAT) as we move toward Cape Town. I want to visit some wineries on June 2 and want to stay in one of the wine towns on that evening.I can't really see these girls riding ostriches.

Finally I need insight into whether I ought to stay in deWaterkant or Waterfront area or in Haut Bay or Camps Bay in a self catering 2 BR apartment. We plan to stay 5 nights in Cape Town and then we are leaving our daughter at the University of Western Cape as we fly home. These girls like to have fun but they aren't big city girls.

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Yanks are coming

De Waterkant is a fun area to stay in = nice village vibe, lots of shops for the

girls and very handily central

For two nights between Wilderness and CT with wine important then I suggest a drive up to Oudtshoorn and then along the R62 to Montagu and either overnight there or head into the Robertson wine area - for luxury accomodation try Jans Haarmsgat on the R60 towards Swellendam. for something a little simpler try 7 Church Street in Montagu

On day two explore wineres around Robertson - for tasting visits I suggest Weltevrede, De Wetshof, Springfield and Charles Beck

Then take the road to Villiersdorp and take the road over the pass to Franschhoek (lovely view at the top in good weather) where you could stay the second night - we love Akademie Guest House but there are plenty of good alternatives. This would allow for another day winery visiting en route to CT via Stellenbosch - my choices amongst hundreds of possibilities would include La Motte, Vrede en Lust, Rustenberg, Simonsig and if time Vergelegen - it really depends upon particular wine interests

Edited: 31 December 2011, 12:07
Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Yanks are coming

We did a similar trip a few years ago with our friends the Landons who live in Olathe, not too far away from you guys I think!

We stopped in Knysna rather than Wilderness, it's not much further. R62 is a beautiful drive & in Montagu we stayed at 7 Church Street.

As your daughters are going to be at college in CT, why not give them a look at Stellenbosch University. Stellenbosch is a terrific university town with excellent restaurants & not as touristy as Franschhoek. Aan Dorpstraat is a great B&B.

Have a great trip & enjoy your winter! Our friends are in Fort Myers until April!!

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,846 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Yanks are coming

I agree with BTM on his suggested route. You could of course spend the two nights in or around Robertson and have a wonderful time visiting the local wine farms - they are much more relaxed than in the places closer to Cape Town. The >90 min drive from there to Cape Town passes Paarl and only requires a small detour to also visit Stellenbosch.

Of course BTM has been drinking too much over the festive period and meant Graham Beck and not Charles :-)

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Yanks are coming

Hick ! Quite right Macsym (on both counts !)

Lawrence, KS
Level Contributor
43 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Yanks are coming

Thanks so much for the advice.

How long will it take me to drive from Wilderness to either Montagu or Robertson via Oudtshoorn. Is traveling at night on R62 any particular problem?

Also, June 3 is a Sunday and we plan to drive the remainder of the way into Capetown on that day. I'm assuming the wineries may be closed on Sundays?

Lawrence, KS
Level Contributor
43 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Yanks are coming

Forgot to mention that Olathe is indeed just 25 miles from me and the location of my place of business. It is truly a small world.

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Yanks are coming

Personally I would not drive the R62 at night - animals being the most likely problem and the stretch of the R60 past Ashton is perhaps not South Africa's safest stretch of road at night (not that I have done it, so I really don't know what I am talking about)

From Wilderness to Montagu without stopping should take about 3.5 hours - the scenery is amazing - why miss it

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,478 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Yanks are coming

I like the idea of staying in the city in Cape Town.. Parents and students can have a little 'orientation' time together. If you are interested in a B&B or self-catering apartment, you could start here: safarinow.com/destinations/cape-town/hub.aspx You see the areas on the left - De Waterkant would work well.. City Centre.. Lots of choices.

9. Re: The Yanks are coming

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2013, 10:19