We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diaz Beach

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
68 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Diaz Beach

We will be travelling to Cape Town in mid January and we will be renting a car. We are going to allocate a day to drive down to Cape Point. We would love to spend an hour or two for some R&R on one of the beaches along the way. Diaz Beach looks like a great beach in a surreal setting and it should fit our schedule nicely because we should be reaching the Point around midday (prime-time for the beach) but from the pictures I've seen of the beach it never seems to be occupied. Is Diaz beach too windy to enjoy or is the hike down to and back up from the beach to laborious for most tourist? We are in our early 30s and welcome the physical activity. Don’t get me wrong, we would love to have the beach all to ourselves. We just don’t want to waste time hiking down to the beach only to realize, “that’s why nobody comes down here”.

As always, thanks for the input.

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diaz Beach

Diaz Beach is very worthwhile - I always go there when at Cape Point - true it is a little bit of a hike, but I am twice your age and don't have a problem!

It is spectacular and as you say often deserted. If you do venture into the water just be careful of the currents.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
434 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Diaz Beach

Dias beach is one of the most magical beaches in the world. You are quite correct that there are few people on it most of the time and that is a definite plus! This could be because most visitors don't know about it or don't realise what it is like and it is a good walk down and particularly up!

I could spend hours there on the wonderful white sand or perched on a rock to the left - facing the sea watching the huge waves crashing on to the beach. When on the beach walk round to the left and clamber over the rocks to get great views towards Cape Point. I don't think swimming is generally recommended so be very ,very careful.

Look out for the dassies (rodents) on the way down - good photo opportunities. In summary, this is a truly wonderful and fantastic beach and always my 'first port of call' at Cape Point. My favourite beach anywhere in the world - just about paradise on earth!

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
68 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Diaz Beach

Great feedback! It sounds like the remoteness and the lack of obvious signage may be a blessing in disguise. I guess most tourist just follow the herd. Can you share any other “magical” spots around Table Mountain National Park, Cape Point, or in route to/from Cape Point that are ‘off the beaten track’ or ‘under the radar’?

Cape Town
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Diaz Beach

Diaz beach is a magnificent beach. Not to be outdone and very close by in the reserve is a beach by the name of Platboom. It is a bit more off the route but very special. Some years ago, after the Miss World Competition at Sun City, it was my job to take a few of the girls to a secluded beach (tough assignment). I took them there. They were so impressed that the following day the delegation chartered a helicopter to fly them back to the point to go to the beach again. Take a drive down to Platboom, it is in the reserve.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
434 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Diaz Beach

On your way back from Cape Point, take the M65 - Atlantic Ocean option and stop for half an hour at Scarborough beach - wonderful sea views. Then continue north for a few kms until you come to Misty Cliffs - again magical and fantastic views. Visit on a sunny day and the the cliffs to the right are covered in a mist off the sea. Why do neither Scarborough or Misty Cliffs appear in guide books?! Great photo opportunities around Misty Cliffs - a drive by is a must.

Then stop at Long Beach Kommetjie and next take Chapmans Peak Drive - toll road but very cheap. One of the world great scenic drives - some great parking bays after the peak - on the left heading down towards Hout Bay - could stay here for hours

There are so many magical views at Cape Point and on the way back to Cape Town via the Atlantic coast.

Newbury, United...
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Diaz Beach

Platboom is a glorious beach, and one we always head for when in Cape Point. Diaz is also lovely, but one of the main reasons for it's lack of tourists, which previous posters mentioned, are the 145 steps... coming back up is quite a hike.

There are lots of hidden gems in Cape Point, and so many tourists never leave the main through road so miss the best parts. Allow plenty of time and take the side roads, Buffels Bay is a lovely spot too, unfortunately the baboons like it too!!

In my opinion the most picturesque route to Cape Point is via Kommetjie, Misty Cliffs and Scarborough, another lovely white sandy beach with very few people on it.

Newbury, United...
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Diaz Beach

Hi Andrew - I was posting my reply at the same time as you!! At least we are on the same wave length. I am looking forward to visiting all of the above at the end of January.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
434 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Diaz Beach

Hello CVH 273 - lucky you going to Cape Town again - at the end of the month.

I prefer to go to Cape Point via the indian Ocean (False Bay) resorts and then come back via the Atlantic coast as I think you get better views heading north - of Mist Cliffs and Chapmans Peak Drive etc. However each to their own and it is nice to know that I am not the only one who appreciates the less well known places such as Scarborough, Misty Cliffs and Kommetjie!

Obviously it is a case of great minds think alike! - have a great holiday and enjoy Dias, Scarborough, Misty Cliffs etc.

Newbury, United...
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Diaz Beach

Thanks Andrew. It's not difficult to enjoy such amazing scenery is it?

10. Re: Diaz Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2013, 10:32