We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A toddler in Cape Town?

Which Cape Town hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
london
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
A toddler in Cape Town?

Hello!

I have a couple of questions i would be really grateful with some help on: -

1, Is Cape Town generally baby/toddler freindly? We are thinking of it as a holiday destination with our now 18 month old

2, If so is there any accomodation you would recommend? Somewhere with self catering would be easiest

3, What time of year is best to visit, i.e not too hot but still sunny and warm. We were thinking person April/May?

Thanks!

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,081 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: A toddler in Cape Town?

1. Yes but certainly hire a car and bring (or rent) a car seat. Much easier than trying to get taxis and wait for buses with a small baby! Otherwise nice beaches, nice countryside and everyone is very child friendly and tolerant. Captonians from all cultures love kids!

3. I would pick April (after Easter holidays). May can already start to get a bit cold and wet some years, going into winter. Another great month is late October and early November (usually my favourite time of year).

2. For accommodation as a family for a period, my strong choice would be a self contained cottage a little out of the city. My personal choice would be Hout Bay (and not just because I live there!). You are about 20 mins drive from the city centre or the Waterfront. Easy to get to lots of other places such as Kirtsenbosch Gardens (5 mins), Chapmans Peak Drive (5 mins), Hout Bay Beach (5 mins), Camps Bay Beach (15 mins), Constantia Wine Estates (2-10 mins), Muizenberg and Fishhoek (about 20 mins) and then down the peninsula to Boulders Beach penguins and Cape Point. It is also easy to drive to Stellenbosch and the Winelands either all along the shore of False Bay from Muizenberg or via the N2 motorway.

You could stay in an apartment in central Cape Town, the Waterfront or Camps Bay but that would be expensive – and you would have little space for the baby to enjoy. Hout Bay is still easy to get to everywhere but close to mountains and beaches with great facilities for kids of all ages. Look at Houtkapperspoort between Hout Bay and Constantia on the flank of Table Mountain looking down a lovely valley to the sea with vineyards all around. A Village type holiday estate with lots of grounds for kids to play out in out in on their own – with loads of resident animals - springbok, ponies, ducks and geese and loads of wild birds including nearby resident Eagles. There are also amazing walks up the back of Table Mountain straight from the cottage. Mountain Biking and Horse riding for the grown ups. The cottages themselves are lovely. It is much more in the country but still only 20 mins from the centre of the city via an easy, spectacular drive. I know the cottages personally as friends have stayed there. And they are beautifully equipped and furnished.

A one bedroomed, one bathroom superior cottage in late April 2012, will cost R870 per night. That’s about £70 per night for all three of you. If you book for 7 nights it is 25% cheaper off standard rates – just on £57 a night. http://www.houtkapperspoort.co.za/

Alternatively, a bit further down the valley is The Tarragon, the establishment that time after time has been rated the best self-catering establishment in South Africa on TA - and has been as high as the number seven rating in the World!

http://www.thetarragon.com/

Rather than describe it maybe read some of the 245 5star reviews on TA plus 6 4star out of 252 reviews. Read the comments about staying with young kids and also read the comments in these reviews about how convenient this location (and Houtkapperspoort) are :

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g469392-d6367…

Just round the corner from The Tarragon in a similar situation is Makuti Lodge.

http://www.makutilodge.co.za/index.html

South Africa is geared to Self Catering. Staying somewhere like this you are 5 mins away from a selection of big supermarkets with excellent food choices significantly cheaper than the UK. But then again within 10 mins you have a huge choice of restaurants ranging from some of the world’s very best (La Colombe in Constantia last year was rated the 12th best restaurant in the world!) through every price and possibility, to excellent Fish restaurants right by the sea where freshly cooked Fish and Chips will cost R39 – not much more than £3.

Edited: 24 January 2012, 22:09
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,961 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A toddler in Cape Town?

Hi there

I will agree with VDC with the visiting times and also about renting a car with a baby seat or to bring along your own. So much more convenient to travel and at your own time. For more accommodations areas to stay in would be Mouille Point, Sea Point and also Camps Bay. For companies that offers accommodation you can have a look at: www.villageandlife.com , www.africaneliteproperties.co.za and also www.safarinow.com .

Best Regards

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

london
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A toddler in Cape Town?

Thank you both for your extremely helpful replies! I am very grateful you took so much time to respond - will go and check out those options now.

4. Re: A toddler in Cape Town?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2013, 09:36