We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Super Bowl 2012

New York, NY
Level Contributor
46 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Super Bowl 2012

Besides our hotel rooms, does anyone know where a person might view the Super Bowl in Cape Town? Go Giants

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,113 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Super Bowl 2012

Someone asked about this last year. This is what I answered then updated -

"Looks like the Super Bowl (on Feb 5th 2012) will be on ESPN (Channel 230) at 1:30am South Africa Time. As I said in the post above you will need to check with your accommodation that they have this channel as part of their bouquet. Also that they have this channel piped in your room, not a public viewing area, as other guests may not be too keen on listening to this at 3 or 4 am!"

Wouldn't think that you have any chance of finding any public viewing at 2am on a Monday morning!

American "Football" is about the 25th most popular sport in South Africa - after Rugby, Cricket, Football/Soccer (English, South African, Spanish, Italian and German), Tennis, Golf, Cycling, Formula 1 Motor Racing, Horse racing, Swimming, Athletics (able and paralympic), Ocean Sailing, Field Hockey (on grass), Triathlon, Netball and probably Tiddlywinks!!

Maybe contact the main US Consulate in Cape Town. One of their American employees might have some ideas :

U.S. Consulate, Cape Town

PostNet Suite 50, Private Bag x26, Tokai 7966

2 Reddam Ave, Westlake 7945

Tel: (27 21) 702-7300

Fax: (27 21) 702-7493

South Africa
Level Contributor
53 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Super Bowl 2012

Hi - Van de Caab provided all the relevant info - in my experience ESPN( Channel 230 on our bouquet) is not included in most hotels' sporting channels. You might find it in a bar, sports bar, but the 2 am is a problem. What does happen is that usually, during regular season, when they show the Sunday game (which is during 12-3 am Monday morning with us, like the Superbowl) they repeat the game the next afternoon (Monday SA time) usually from 16h00-19h00. So, if your hotel doesn't have ESPN, you could wait till the next day (avoid all forms of media) and watch the Superbowl in a bar/sport bar from 16h00- 19h00 the Monday (check schedule). The chances of any South African in the bar/sportbar knowing the result will be minimal. It's an option.

There's just one other problem - you have the wrong team ! Brady and the Pats will rack up the points and the defence will take care of Eli and shut down the running game of the Giants to win another Superbowl !!!

New York, NY
Level Contributor
46 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Super Bowl 2012

Thank you for the info. Looks like it will be a lonely viewing, if at all.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
93 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Super Bowl 2012

gcaug2006: If you find out anything else, please share! I'm in the same exact boat, and will let you know if I find out anything new about possible viewing locations.

Obviously this trip is about South Africa, but when your beloved Giants go to the Super Bowl, you're ready, willing and able to hit a sports bar at 1am.

Cape Town Central...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Super Bowl 2012

I too want to watch the game live at a party down venue..............if you`re interested and there are enough of us maybe we can get a sports bar in the Cape Town area to put on the Event....................+1

Cape Town Central...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Super Bowl 2012

Add me to the list of expats in Cape Town who want to watch my Patriots avenge their previous loss to the Giants. There must be at least one bar that would broadcast the game at 1am. I've emailed the US Consulate for ideas, but if anyone knows of a bar in Cape Town that will be open, please let us know.

Cape Town Central...
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Super Bowl 2012

All,

Tommy's Sports Bar on the corner of Loop and Bloem in downtown Cape Town will be broadcasting the game live this year. I met Tommy himself and he had it on last year and said they had a pretty good crowd. The place has plenty of TVs, so should be a good place to watch the game. See you there.

Eli

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Super Bowl 2012

Awesome. Thanks for the info on Tommy's. I am living in Cape Town now, but a big Giants fan via Eli Manning, from my college alma mater. See you there.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
46 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Super Bowl 2012

Great information. I hope Tommy can stay up past the 200am curfew. Go Giants.

NY
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Super Bowl 2012

Go Giants!!!!!