We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety warning!!!

Port Glasgow...
Level Contributor
99 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
Safety warning!!!

Hi from Cape Town where we are having a fantastic time! Just wanted to warn visitors. We were in the centre of CT today and as we were crossing a road with crowds at the traffic lights my gold chain was ripped from my neck! My chain was small and of sentimental value to me, I had left my rings etc at home but thought the chain was inconspicuous. Very kind passers by came to help as they witnessed what happened and told me I should have screamed very loud, but it happened so quickly I didn't have the chance. In future I'll leave all jewellery at home!

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety warning!!!

Hi Alison,

What a saddening experience for you. It's really upsetting that some people consider themselves entitled to steal. Unfortunately, all jewellery is conspicuous to trained eyes.

Although I sincerely empathise with you, I thank you for sharing your experience and possibly helping many others avoid the same misfortune. The loss of a sentimental item leaves scars far beyond the actual material value.

Be well. I hope you enjoy the rest of your stay.

Level Contributor
59 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety warning!!!

Hi alison,

Thank you for the warning we are visiting CT next week and will definately leave all my diamond rings etc at home.

Thank you again and hope you enjoy the rest of your stay

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety warning!!!

Hi Allison

Many thanks for sharing your story with the rest and my sister has experienced exactly the same twice in the City already. She does not wear any jewelry or rings of the sort when she goes to work which is quite saddening. Hope that you are doing much better now and please enjoy the rest of your stay in our Mother City.

Best Regards

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Still have questions?Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question
Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
347 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety warning!!!

Sad to hear that Alison. Though it could have been much worse. But you broke the first rule of tourist behavior: Never wear any kind of jewelry - even mu weddingring stays back home when i leave on vacation. Once in Rio de Janeiro i wore a simple plastic watch -and our landlord "demanded" med too leave it at the B&B.

Level Contributor
1,233 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety warning!!!

had the same experience while sitting on a public bus with open windows during a hot and humid summer day in New York years ago...the price of gold was also very high back then, and they grabbed my chain from the curb when the bus stopped...we all learn from our mistakes, at least we weren't really hurt!

Palma de Mallorca...
Level Contributor
381 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety warning!!!

All too often these things do happen in South Africa so thanks for posting. Most DEs here like to advise that crime is not targeted at tourists but only locals....as you have experienced this is not the case.

The rule of thumb is not to let anyone gain access to your personal space at any time. As hard is it may be, do not feel sorry for anyone approaching you for something. This is when problems arise.

However dont let this put you off of visiting our country. As in most places around the world you can protect yourself by being extra vigilant and wary of those around you at any given time.

Edited: 11 March 2012, 19:41
7. Re: Safety warning!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 22:16