We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

volunteering with big cats

eugene, or
Level Contributor
62 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
volunteering with big cats

Hi,

I am interested in doing a volunteer vacation working with big cats, preferably cheetahs. I would only be able to spend about 2 weeks doing this. I've been doing research on the internet, but I was hoping that there was someone out there who has done volunteer work with big cats and could give me advice. It doesn't have to be in Cape Town. I just posted to the Cape Town forum because I had to post to a specific forum to get my message out.

Thank you

Cape Town
Level Contributor
733 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: volunteering with big cats

Try contacting these people: www.cheetah.co.za/tm_int_volunteers.html

eugene, or
Level Contributor
62 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: volunteering with big cats

Thank you for the link. If anyone else out there has volunteered with big cats in South Africa, I'd love to hear about it. I'm very interested in doing this and have never done anything like this before. I love to travel and have always had a fascination with the big cats. I'm trying to decide where I'd like to be a volunteer. I'm looking at a budget of around $2000-$3000 American dollars.

Thanks

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,923 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: volunteering with big cats

Have you looked at Namibia? Several organisations there working with cheetah.

eugene, or
Level Contributor
62 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: volunteering with big cats

I've looked at CCF in Namibia and it's very expensive, about $5000 dollars and that's not including the airfare. I haven't looked at anything else in Namibia though.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,923 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: volunteering with big cats

web47.h547674.serverkompetenz.net/index.php…

Biosphere expeditions was the company I was thinking of.

eugene, or
Level Contributor
62 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: volunteering with big cats

Thank you for the information on Biosphere. It looks very interesting. Have you done one of their volunteer vacations?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
692 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: volunteering with big cats

Just like to say What A great thing to do.. Would you try to Ask Born Free!!!! They would be the best to ask i think.. Very best of luck and fair play to you....

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,923 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: volunteering with big cats

No - I haven't been with Biosphere yet, but I have met several people who have and all rated it.

Somerset West...
Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: volunteering with big cats

Sea View may be just the place for you.

seaviewlionpark.co.za/our-stories/…

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: volunteering with big cats

Hi Tourist guide,

I wonder if you've been to Seaview recently? The last time I was there, I was pretty shocked at the conditions these animals were being kept in. I seriously don't think I would be promoting it to any self-respecting volunteer with any sense of integrity towards our wildlife ...

Maybe it's improved, but methinks not.