We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report: Kwandwe Safari, Cape Town, Franschhoek

Which Cape Town hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
217 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report: Kwandwe Safari, Cape Town, Franschhoek

Hi everyone,

We just got back from our trip to South Africa and had a wonderful time!! First of, thanks so much for everyone on the forum that have been very helpful answering my endless questions. I received so many helpful information and the trip wouldn't have been the same without all your help.

I'll break my trip into 3 different sections:

1. Safari (3 days/2 nights)

Accommodation: Kwandwe Great Fish River Lodge (booked via Dave Patterson)

We had an absolutely amazing time! The room was beautiful, service was excellent, food was good, and had some good animal sightings (lions, cheetahs & cubs, elephants, zebras, rhinos, buffaloes). We absolutely took in the slow pace of life while we were at safari. We thought that safari would be a once in a lifetime experience. But we are now looking forward to our next safari...someday. :)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
217 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report: Kwandwe Safari, Cape Town, Franschhoek

2. Cape Town (5 days/4 nights)

Accommodation: Westin Cape Town. Great hotel, although very business like and less for vacationer. Nonetheless, the location was great and there's free shuttle to the waterfront.

Activities:

* HOHO Bus: We had fun taking the bus around and it's definitely a pretty economical way of seeing the town.

* Table Mountain: We were lucky to have a non-cloudy day to go up. Views were beautiful. Definitely book tickets in advance to avoid the long lines.

* Cape peninsula: Tour booked with Hank from Ulungele tours and had an amazing time! Highly recommended!

* Robben Island

Food:

* Fork Tapas: Great food at reasonable price. We liked the majority of the dish we tried and would recommend this place.

* Willoughby & Cos: Great Japanese food - we shared the Japanese platter for 2 and it was huge.

* Test Kitchen: Definitely the best food, by far, during our whole trip. We had the 3 course menu and was definitely really full at the end of our meal. Everything was just excellent, very innovative - on par with some of the best restaurants we've had. I wasn't a big fan of the location though.

* Myoga: The 7 course menu was definitely a bargain at R225. Food was solid and more traditional style. Too bad it was raining & dark when we went so we couldn't see the beautiful view from the hotel.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
217 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report: Kwandwe Safari, Cape Town, Franschhoek

Franschhoek:

Accommodation: Maison D'Ail guesthouse. We loved this place! The guesthouse was just so lovely in a quiet residential area not far from the main strip, and the views from the guesthouse was just amazing. The room was decorated beautifully and price is quite reasonable.

Activities:

* Huguenot chocolate tour & tasting: Quite fun and informative, enjoyed tasting the chocolates

* Le Pique Nique at Boschendal: We enjoyed having a picnic without having to pack everything and clean up :p Food was deli food but quality was not bad, ambiance was just beautiful.

* Wine Tasting: haute cabriere (beautiful view!) and Bergkelder (wasn't a fan). Didn't get a chance to hit other wineries on my list (Delaire Graff, Waterford, Graham Beck, Solms Delta) - hopefully next time!

* Le Franschhoek Spa: Decent spa and price was quite reasonable.

Food:

* Bread & Wine: Their charcuterie plate was just amazing!! This was probably our best lunch during our whole trip. We enjoyed their wines too.

* Dutch East: We originally planned on going to Moyo at Spier but ended up having to cancel so decided to just eat in Franschhoek. Since a lot of the places are booked up, we ended up going here for dinner. Food was not bad, but not my favorite.

* The Tasting Room: Very innovative food. Really good service. Some of the food was a bit too innovative for us though :p Overall we enjoyed it but still preferred Test Kitchen.

Weybridge
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report: Kwandwe Safari, Cape Town, Franschhoek

Sounds absolutley fantastic - are you going to be posting reviews/pictures for the properties you stayed at?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
217 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report: Kwandwe Safari, Cape Town, Franschhoek

TravelButlers, I definitely will!! :)

Surrey,England
Level Contributor
179 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report: Kwandwe Safari, Cape Town, Franschhoek

Please could you tell me how you organised your visit to Robben Island?

Thanks

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
217 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report: Kwandwe Safari, Cape Town, Franschhoek

We pre-booked Robben Island ticket online here:

www.robben-island.org.za/index.php…

If I remember correctly, the ferry ticket also includes guided tour.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report: Kwandwe Safari, Cape Town, Franschhoek

Thanks for deciding to give back to TA with your post - even 18 months (or thereabouts!) later, it's still great to read - liked reading how you allocated your time in Cape Town, and your safari portion sounds awesome. Did you ever post any pictures? Thanks for posting!

Florida
Level Contributor
91 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report: Kwandwe Safari, Cape Town, Franschhoek

Enjoyed your trip report.....our safari is booked in Botswana and Londolozi. Thànks for the good tips about Cape Town and Franschhoek! We have reservations at The Testing Kitchen. I have heard nothing but good reviews. I appreciate the recommendation of booking Table Mountain in advance. Is there a rain check for bad weather? We are eating at Tokara in the Winelands, but am considering changing to Jordan. Any thoughts out there? I appreciate any feedback. Counting the days until Sep 20 when we leave....

9. Re: Trip Report: Kwandwe Safari, Cape Town, Franschhoek

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2014, 05:17