We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit vineyards with 15-yr-old daughter

JCS
Boca Raton FL
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Visit vineyards with 15-yr-old daughter

I'd love to go to the Constantia vineyards when I'm in SA next month, but I'll be with my teenage daughter. Has anyone taken a teenager on this type of tour, and were they interested or bored?

Baz Bus - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Hop-On Hop-Off Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Bus Tours
Cape Town Helicopters
Helicopter Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Air Tours
City Sightseeing
City Tours, Hop-On Hop-Off Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Cape Convoy
Shark Diving, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Cape Town, South...
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
676 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit vineyards with 15-yr-old daughter

I am sure interested or bored would be preferable to inebriated!!

The scenery is enough to sustain a non-drinker in my opinion! You could send her shopping at the V&A whilst you go wine-tasting on the other side of the mountain?! You could then meet her for supper perhaps?

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
4,498 posts
581 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit vineyards with 15-yr-old daughter

Hi

Maybe chose a vineyard with a good place for lunch, which you could both enjoy. Not sure how much a teenager would enjoy visiting wine estates, but the views are stunning. She could always read her book while you are tasting!

Liaa

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,116 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit vineyards with 15-yr-old daughter

Hi there

If Constantia is the only place that you will be visiting for tasting then you have to get her a book to read. I would rather suggest to go to an estate where there will be entertainment for her as well.

Best Regards

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

San Diego
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Visit vineyards with 15-yr-old daughter

Are you really set on Constantia? Speer is a winery just outside of Cape Town with a restaurant, and some 'wild' life. They have a cheetah encounter there. There is a train that runs from the Cape Town Station all the way to Speer.

Alternatively, there are plenty of wineries in Stellenbosch. Stellenbosch is a university town and she should be able to hang out there safely, while you visit the wineries.

Personally, I think Speer is your best bet.

Los Altos, CA
Level Contributor
656 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visit vineyards with 15-yr-old daughter

FYI the cheetah encounter is moving away from Spier this month http://www.cheetah.co.za/news_relocation.html and after reading about the recent "encounter" a tourist had with a cheetah in another cheetah-enounter place near Pt. Elizabeth, I would personally not seek out a cheetah encounter for me and my family as I had considered! Here's an article about that, for those who've not yet seen it:

…go.com/blogs/…

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visit vineyards with 15-yr-old daughter

Of course it depends upon the 15 year old but I don't think that for an hour or two travelling round the Constantia wineries there is likely to be much of a problem. Firstly let me confirm that your daughter will be allowed onto the premises and if she is like many 15 year old girls that don't look 15 then she may well be offered a tasting especially if she is with parents. I appreciate that may not be what you want to hear so apart from wine is there is anything else to do at Constantia wineries? well, YES

Firstly as Lisa has mentioned many of the Constantia wineries have great restaurants and in summer some provide picnics. Groot Constantia has an excellent museum, admittedly mainly about wine-making in Constantia but it also has some interesting general historical exhibits including some lovely old and original Cape Dutch farm buildings. Steenberg is a lot more than just a winery - would a game of golf be your daughters cup of tea? It could be arranged, at a price, in advance. But perhaps the main reason your daughter might enjoy the Constantia wineries is that some of them have the most beautiful views - I suggest Constantia Glen might be the winner on that score but almost all of them are scenic

Edited: 06 May 2012, 12:41
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
28,057 posts
5,944 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visit vineyards with 15-yr-old daughter

Might want to consider Fairview Winery, they have a friendly goat outside and cheese tasting that I assume your 15 year old could participate in. See link (w/pictures).

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

8. Re: Visit vineyards with 15-yr-old daughter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 12:41