We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Cape Town to Stellenbosch

Which Cape Town hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Umina Beach...
Level Contributor
29 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Train Cape Town to Stellenbosch

Has anyone used the train from Cape Town to Stellenbosch recently. I do not want a tour I just want to go for the day to wander the city. The Baz Bus does not go right into town and you have to have a hostel pick you up and as I am not staying over this option is out.

I also do not want to use a taxi or private car due to costs.

I have done the wine tours before and this is just a fill in day

Thank you,

Dianne

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,934 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Cape Town to Stellenbosch

Hi Dianne

I definately would not recommend to use the train service in Cape Town, it is simply not the safest way to travel from Cape Town to Stellenbosch.By saving cost and putting your safety at risk does not go well together. Then i would rather say rent a cheapie(car rental) for the day and do things your way.

Best Regards

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Cape Town to Stellenbosch

I agree with Hank - the train service from CT to Stellenbosch is not geared towards tourists - the timetable is not reliable and neither is some of the rolling stock, the route is much more for local workers so stops frequently and thus can be slow ( I was once told of a journey that took over two hours compared to 30 minutes in a car). There is also, as Hank suggests, the issue of safety. There are very few if any security staff on board and unlike the train to Simonstown, which is much more frequented by tourists, there is no obvious separation of a first class secure area on board.

Stellenbosch is a pleasant town and the central area could easily take up a few hours of your day (more if you like browsing the shops and have lunch) so if you really want to go there then I suggest a car hire for the day

Edited: 24 May 2012, 08:59
Cape Town, South...
Destination Expert
for Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
899 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Cape Town to Stellenbosch

You'll be fine traveling by train if you enjoy the learning and discovery aspect of touring. The secret is to travel during the peak hours. In the morning between 07h00 and 08h30 is absolutely fine. This is an advertised tourist route for train travel. It is quieter than the Simonstown route and probably one that many people who offer advice have not traveled in many years if ever.

In thevening the peak hours would be fron 16h30 to 17h30 for that route. Plan it well and you'll have a great time

4. Re: Train Cape Town to Stellenbosch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 10:42