We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape Town Townships

Galway, Ireland
5 posts
Save Topic
Cape Town Townships

We are travelling to Cape Town in late July and would like to visit a township. I have Googled many - and there is an array!- so I would just like personal experiences from people who have gone with tour groups/guides to steer me in the right direction please!

South African Adventures
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Freedom of the Cape Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , City Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
DJ Tours & Safaris
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Cape Golf Guys
Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Cape Town
Level Contributor
733 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape Town Townships

I am a tour guide based in Cape Town but do not conduct tours of the townships myself as I believe that this should be done by someone who comes from the communities that are visited and has close ties with the people there.

I have however done MANY tours to the townships as a driver with different guides and would highly recommend Khonaye Tuswa from Camissa.

I am sure you will have a great experience with him.

Mark September

Small World Tours

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,199 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape Town Townships

Hi there

I will second Mark's suggestion for Camissa Township Tours. One of the best guys to conduct this Tour of the Township. I have used his services on previous occasions and my guests was all happy with him.

Best Regards

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
289 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape Town Townships

I was there last August and had an incredible tour with Ukubona Africa Tours (www.ukobonaafricatours.co.za). We were taken to a home and the owner walked with us through the township for as long as we wanted to walk, telling us about everything along the way. We also had a chance to eat in a very interesting place within the township. I would highly recommend them

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
289 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cape Town Townships

Sorry there is a typo in the email site I gave you; here is the correct site:

http://www.ukubonaafricatours.co.za/

Galway, Ireland
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cape Town Townships

Thanks for all your replys.

We have booked a tour with Camissa.

Cape Town, South...
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
684 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cape Town Townships

I think it is so sad that these townships still exist in a country that has over half of the world's manganese (used in mobile phones), half the chrome and 80% of the world's platinum! I hope the poverty problem is eradicated in the second 18 years of democracy.

If you do visit a township you will be amazed by the warmth and friendliness of the people. Many of the shacks have been replaced with government RDP houses but there is still a massive problem with poverty.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
58 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cape Town Townships

Yes, Camissa is great...but have you heard of Uthando Tours?

They are in a league of their own and are a non-prof organisation, purely aimed at benefiting and empowering the impoverished.

Just take a look at their guestbook...that should help convince you :0)

http://www.uthandosa.org/

If you into cultural travel...you may also be interested in Dine with a Local -where you go to a South Africans home and enjoy a SA dinner and meet the locals http://dinewithalocalsa.com/

Happy travels!

8. Re: Cape Town Townships

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 July 2013, 05:16