We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cape town

Which Cape Town hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
india
Level Contributor
12 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
cape town

I am 50 year old and will be visiting Capetown for a week in Third week of July. We will be 5 adults and staying in city near convention centre. Please suggest best and safe way and places to visit on a budget of approx 4000 Rands per person, excluding hotel.

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cape town

Honeyocean

I shall pick up on one point you have mentioned - safety. For the vast majority of tourists CT is a very safe destination - applying common sense and knowing where you are and where you are going should ensure a wonderful peaceful visit.

The area around the Convention centre has greatly improved in recent years and even walking around at night is now feasible. If you do not have a car then taxis's are a good option for going places in the evening

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,488 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cape town

We could use more information. Are you asking about the cost of tours around Cape Town? Or, asking about leaving Cape Town and spending time out of the city?

R4000PP is a lot of money for tours alone. This company will take all 5 of you on a full day tour around Cape Town for R2700 - www.hyltonross.co.za/tour.asp… Or, for the same cost, take all of you to the nearby Winelands.

Cape Town Central...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: cape town

Safety is not a problem because there is security guards at night and taxis is not that expensive if you want to travel

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
959 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cape town

I would suggest take private tour with one of the tour operator for Cape Point and Wine Lands. Rest everything is easy by Taxi or take HOHO bus for 2 days.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
233 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cape town

Hi Honeyocean

Cape Town is a lot safer than other cities in South Africa. The tourist areas are generally safe. I've walked around in town at night with my camera over my shoulder, but I do have large shoulders! Generally, if you conceal your valuables, and look like you know where you're going, you'll be fine.

Familiarise yourself with our currency, so that you don't look lost when paying cash. Or, pay with credit card. Just about every formal trader (restaurant, hotel, hostel, supermarket, tourist place, pub, etc) all accept cards although in the markets you'll need cash and you'll be able to negotiate, but please remember that this is their income and they do invest time and effort to create their art.

Metered taxis are about R10-R13 flag fall, and about R8-R15/km, so it's quite costly unless you earn dollars / euros / pounds / etc... From the CTICC, you should be able to take a metered taxi anywhere in town for less than R50. To get to the nightlife part of Long Street, simply step outside the hotel on the Convention Centre side, that's where the road is nicely paved, turn right (hotel on RHS, CTICC on LHS), walk under the building, and keep walking! That's Long Street. It's several blocks, with the big roads being Strand Street in the middle of town and Wale Street with the Provincial Government building a few blocks thereafter. Then, it's about three blocks and you're in the Long Street nightlife area.

To get to the Waterfront, there's a very busy road intersection to cross, but it's really close. so you can walk there, please obey the traffic lights and use pedestrian crossings, or take a metered taxi. Actually, if you go in the old entrance, nearest to the hotel, then ask the taxi to drop you off at the first traffic circle after the Caltex petrol garage, and walk along the pedestrian paths, it's more fun and cheaper than using the taxi all the way around the road route.

Easiest way to the airport is to catch the MyCiti bus, irt's about R65 I think per person, and well worth it. Safe, convenient, reliable, and clean.

Beaches: Well, we have LOTS! If you want that famous view of Table Mountain across the bay, then head to Table View on the MyCiti and use a local bus or metered taxi to get to Blouberg. Actually, I recommend the Blue Peter, it's a pub /restaurant with lawns where you can feast on their Bobotie or pizzas (order by 18h30, unless you want tot wait for ages!) and watch spectacular sunsets and admire Table Mountain across the Table Bay! Otherwise, Clifton has four beaches, with fourth being the busiest, and second and third being quieter, and first is very quiet. Lovely sunsets there too... Or, just a bit further, Camps Bay, that famous beach with the palm trees along it and the rather touristy and pricey cocktail bars across the road. For warmer swimming, try Fish Hoek or Muizenberg.

The red Cape Town Tourism Buses will take you all over! They are a bit pricey, but well worth it. I definitely recommend Table Mountain, and the Cable Car is about R200 return, which I feel is expensive, but some people are happy with it. I suggest to walk up if you're physically capable, it's easier than it looks, and then cable car down. It is the world's longest single span cable car, and a world heritage site, and an international floral kingdom, and a national park, and a national monument, and a famous landmark, and a beautiful sight!

Ask if you want more info, this is already a long essay! :-)

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,360 posts
5,590 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cape town

Hello honeyocean

Welcome to the Cape Town forums

Here is a list we have compiled of our personal favorite attractions in Cape Town and the surrounding area (sorted by area) which might prove helpful in your attraction planning. Have a look if useful.

Cape Town Top Attractions (Our Top Attractions)

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i32409-Cape_Tow…

Hope you have a nice time planning your trip to Cape Town and that you enjoy your visit.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,511 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cape town

Hi Honeyocean

The cheapest way is to hire a car to visit the local spots.

If you do not wish to drive then you can make use of tours etc. The typical tours are the penisula with penguins, the wine regions, Hermanus Whales(it is the start of the season in July so it will be a bit of hit and miss), shark cage diving. You can also explore the city with the Hop on hop off bus. Because there are 5 of you it might be more flexible and economical to do a private tour than to pay the set price per person,

There are links to various tour operators on the Tripadvisors Activities page with travelers reviews

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g312659-Activiti…

8. Re: cape town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2014, 07:19