We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

itinerary check - private tour guide suggestion?

Which Cape Town hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York, New York
Level Contributor
6 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
itinerary check - private tour guide suggestion?

My husband & I will be in capetown at the end of August for 2 full days. Below is what we would like to see. Is this too aggressive? Any suggestions on a private tour operator who could take us out over those 2 days?

Day 1:

-Table Mountain - ideally walk up/cable down

-V&A Waterfront

-City Center

Day 2:

-Cape Penninsula

-Hout Bay & Sea Colony

-Wine Region

any feedback is appreciated!

Cape Town Central...
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: itinerary check - private tour guide suggestion?

I think walking up table mountain can be quite heavy going, more like a climb, especially if you want to go up the front.

I find that the wine route, especially if you want to visit Stellenbosch, Franschhoek, Paarl etc requires at least a day on its own.

Doing a quick tour of the Cape Peninsula could be a bit of a push, Hout Bay, Cape Point, Boulders Beach (penguins) etc

Videos

http://youtube.googleapis.com/v/DXpJugosCmw

http://youtube.googleapis.com/v/mFd4Ibqi3Ig

Cape Town Accommodation

sleeping-out.co.za/accommodation/…42-0-1-1

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,934 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: itinerary check - private tour guide suggestion?

Hi there

Your list of things to do can be done in 2days time.

Day 01: A hike up Table Mountain(weather permitted), City Center with visits to District Six and the Museum, Bo Kaap, Signal Hill, Green market Square, also the Slave Museum and the Waterfront

Day 02: Drive along the Atlantic Coast past Clifton's beaches, Camps Bay, Llandudno, Houtbay and a 45min boat trip to Seal Island, Chapmans Peak Drive(if open), Long Beach, Penguins at Bolders Beach close to Simons Town, Cape Point with Cape of Good Hope and then for the afternoon you will head out to Stellenbosch for wine tasting. It will be quite a full day, so to sit down for lunch will possibly not be able to be done. A quick take out will have to do the thing.

You can always just finish of the day with a good dinner in Franschoek and then head back to Cape Town. I would then also recommend a early morning start for both days, to get everything in for the days provided.

Best Regards

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Edited: 18 July 2012, 21:50
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: itinerary check - private tour guide suggestion?

We just came back from South Africa and it included 5 days in cape town. We did everything Hank2011 pointed out plus more.

The only suggestion I would make is take one day to to table mountain, signal hill, the waterfront and the city center on your own. You can easily do that with taxis.

The second day, I would hire a guide for the day. I think you will get the most out of that day having someone that knows the lay of the land and can lay out a plan that will provide you a full day of interesting locations and experiences. We had a guide for 3 days and don't regret it at all.

Have fun.

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: itinerary check - private tour guide suggestion?

Hi Colleen

Personally I think you may be attempting too much in two days

Doing anything up Table Mountain is weather dependent so you need to be flexible and you may find you have to rearrange your days and to save time I would forget hiking up - the cable car is amazing both up and down

A Cape tour including Seal Island and Boulders Beach and a Winelands trip is IMO far too much in one day - you could instead include a visit to some of the Constantia wineries and don't forget Cape Point Vineyards which is near the southern end of Chapmans Peak Drive (an absolute must - best driven south to north towards Cape Town) In fact do this tour clockwise starting with Consantia and then down to Simonstown (Boulders Beach) on to the Cape itself and then back up the western side

New York, New York
Level Contributor
6 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: itinerary check - private tour guide suggestion?

thank you for your responses!

Mark N - which guide/company did you hire? We will definitely take your advice and do the 1st day on our own.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
152 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: itinerary check - private tour guide suggestion?

Cape point?

and it seems tooo crammed....you will be running around all day!

Edited: 24 July 2012, 03:37
Kent
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: itinerary check - private tour guide suggestion?

It's a bit to rushed on the peninsula day, I would consider cancelling the seal island trip at Hout Bay especially if bad weather, or consider a seal island trip from Simon's Town or squeeze it in on day 1. What if you can't do TM the day before ? adding that onto the next day will be to much.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,934 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: itinerary check - private tour guide suggestion?

Hi Colleen

I would agree with Mark N to do the first day on your own and you can also make use of the Hop on Hop off bus, for more info: www.citysightseeing.co.za . You can make use of the red route which runs through the City with options to get on and off at different stops along the way. One point though is to start as early as possible because the weather can change very quickly in the City.

Bets Regards

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

New York, New York
Level Contributor
6 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: itinerary check - private tour guide suggestion?

thank you so much everyone!

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
5,974 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: itinerary check - private tour guide suggestion?

Two of the people on this forum are tour guides that I know. You could contact them via a "private message", mention that Divacape recommended them - its always nice for them to know and ask what they will charge. The one's name is Tourist GUide and she is a woman and the other is IloveCapeTown and he is a man. Those two I know personallyh but have no clue what they will charge.