We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants in Cape Town

Which Cape Town hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sheffield, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Restaurants in Cape Town

My husband and I are staying at the Strand Tower hotel for 6 nights in October. Can anyone recommend any restaurants (mid-price range} that are within a reasonable walking distance from the hotel. We enjoy most types of cuisine and as this is our first visit to South Africa we would like to try typical South African food on at least one/two of the evenings.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,262 posts
5,503 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants in Cape Town

Hello JWS1_12,

Welcome to Tripadvisor and the Cape Town Forum,

Unfortunately, not within walking distance to your hotel, unless you don't mind the stroll, I can suggest Arnold's on Kloof Street north of the city centre area. This is a restaurant we much enjoyed during our stay last year (some very nice dishes, loved the Gemsbok), some friends have visited recently and quite enjoyed as well. See link (w/pictures) if useful.

tripadvisor.com/…UR96319895

Might want to keep this one in mind when writing up your list of restaurants to try in Cape Town.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
452 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants in Cape Town

I can recommend the Mama Africa Restaurant and Bar. They offer typical South African food. And, the best is that they have live music performed by local musicians. This is a great place if you are looking for something typical South African. Reservations are essential as this place is very popular.

Regards

Michelle from Cape Town Guide

Cape Town Central...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants in Cape Town

I was also going to suggest Mama Africa.

For another fantastic restaurant, I suggest Addis in Cape, on the corner of Church St and Long St. While it is Ethiopian and not South African, the food is fantastic and it has a lovely, relaxed atmosphere.

Belgium
Level Contributor
316 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants in Cape Town

Can also suggest Myoga Restaurant at the Vineyard Hotel. Fine dining for a reasonable price.For dinner they have a seven course tasting meny at 225R per head.

http://www.myoga.co.za/index.php

If you prefer a good piece of meat I would recommend the Hussar Grill.

They have several locations in town

www.hussargrill.co.za/steak%20masters.html

Cape Town
Level Contributor
113 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants in Cape Town

Hi There,

I would suggest Gold Restaurant in Strand Street, that is within walking distance. There are many lovely restaurants in the V&A Waterfront as well, you can ask your hotel concierge to arrange a cab for you.I highly recommend FORK restaurant in Long Street, think you will enjoy it much.

Goodluck and hope you enjoy your stay in Cape Town.

Kind regards,

Take 2 Tours

Cape Town
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants in Cape Town

Hello,

Mama Africa is a great place for you to go an try. You can also have a look at online restaurant guides such this new one I have come across http://www.dinesouthafrica.com .

Enjoy your visit :)

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
5,978 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants in Cape Town

Peteren - did you not read thequestion? WALKING DISTANCE - Myoga is not only not within walking distance, its about 20 km. away. In De Waterkant there are a number of restaurants (within walking distance) . There is Andiamo which is mainly pizza and pasta and Voila mainly salads and samis, . There are quite a few nearby but not near enough to walk. For instance the Waterfront is not too far away, but too far to walk. It shouldnt cost much to get there by taxi and there are lots of restaurants to choose from at the Waterfront.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,663 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants in Cape Town

Bizerka is very nice and is within walking distance of Strand Street.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,663 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurants in Cape Town

Hi Peteren,

Please read the question correctly and answer accordingly.

Hussar Grill is miles away from Strand Street Tower and so is Myoga.

10. Re: Restaurants in Cape Town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2013, 10:15