We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in south africa

Manchester, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Driving in south africa

how long is the drive from Cape town to Johanesberg and is it a worthwhile trip? Brian C

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
2,222 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in south africa

It's about 15 hours of actual driving.

"Worth it" depends on how much you like huge, silent, arid spaces (with 100 km+ distances between towns a lot of the time) and whether you have the time to linger. Google "Karoo" and see if you like the idea of what comes up. If you're just planning on going from the one city to the other on either of the main highways then it probably isn't worth it.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in south africa

It is a distance of around 1350 km (840 miles approx) so it is a long way.

Is it worth it - depends entirely on what you enjoy and why you are doing it.

The drive itself is definately nothing special. I would certainly fly rather than drive every time.

Johannesburg itself is a very large, busy city. Again, not a place I would travel thousands of miles (from Manchester) to visit but of course depending on your interests there are things to do a visit in that part of the country. Sun City, Pilansberg NP. Within in a 5 hour drive there ais the Blyde River Canyon and of course Kruger National Park with all its wildlife.

Really does depend on your interests and budget.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,791 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving in south africa

I drove the other direction, and took about 5 days over it. A great way to see the back roads (and some unusual wildlife (flamingos, Klipspringer, eland), but not everyone would enjoy it, which suited me, as I don't want to go with the herds....

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving in south africa

If you only want to drive, it is 2 days of just driving and no sight seeing. We took 3 weeks to drive form Jburg to The Cape, we were. Jonurg, parys, bloemfontein, A fee days in Addo elephant park, plettenburg bay, knysa, hermanus, stellenbosch.

A trip like this is super.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,554 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving in south africa

It is not 'worth it' - but if you have time for it, why not. As you would see if if you DO drive it - a heckuva lot of truckers, buses, even cars - do it every day.

6. Re: Driving in south africa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 16:19