We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape Point day trip

wales
Level Contributor
334 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Cape Point day trip

At long last, my trip to South Africa is nearly here and i am putting some finishing touches to my itinerary. I am planning on doing a day trip to Cape Point from Camps bay and have seen recommendations on here that it is best to go via Muizenberg and back through Chapmans peak. What towns en route are worth a stop allowing enough time in the day for visits to Boulders beach to see the penguins and a walk at Cape Point? On the retun places like Scarborough, llandudno and Hout bay look lovely, are they all worth a short visit or is there one place in particular that i shouldn't miss out?

Toronto,
Level Contributor
6 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape Point day trip

Having done it before, I would recommend you ensure you make pit stops at Kirstenbosch botanical gardens in the morning (if you dont have any other plans to do it at other times). Drive south and enjoy the different sceneries. Plan for lunch at Kalky's fish restaurant in Kalk Bay - best ever. Then Boulders to see penguins. Others are stop as you wish, in my opinion. Drive back on the west side of the peninsula during sunset. Back in cape town city by night. Best drive ever - hope you have lots of fun!

Note: I have also taken a train from Muizenberg to Simon's Town on metrorail - it goes RIGHT along the coast.... really great train to take. The only problem is you will need to take the train back to Muizenberg and then drive back down to cape point - not very time efficient, so only do this if you have two days to spend in the peninsula area.

Kent
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape Point day trip

I agree with what's said above about Kalk Bay, it has the best fish in CT & is a quaint place, the next town would be Fish Hoek, apparently it looks tired & dated to some, has a super beach & whales gather here as well as the odd shark. The next town is Simon's Town & Boulder's, after that there is nothing until Cape Point. Heading back again I agree with Scarborough beach also Noordhoek beach, Hout Bay, Llandudno, Camp's Bay & Clifton. There are many places to stop on route for views so start early !

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,768 posts
5,791 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape Point day trip

Have had a nice day trip with a small company called Daytrippers back in 2004 and 2011, pretty good both times around, covering most of the areas you are interested in seeing on your Cape Peninsula day trip. See link if interested.

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Have a great time in Cape Town

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
4,303 posts
566 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cape Point day trip

I would say Nordhoek beach is worth a stop and Llandudno is one of my favourite beaches in Cape Town. Last visit we sat for half an hour on the beach watching the surfers and the seals playing

Hour Bay also worth a stop.

Not sure I would bother with Muizenberg. The beach huts are pretty but otherwise, spend more rime elsewhere

Lisa

Newbury, United...
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cape Point day trip

Definitely Scarborough, very unspoilt and one of my favourite beaches. Try to get to Hout Bay by sunset for drinks on the terrace of Chapman's Peak Hotel.

Allow plenty of time for Kirstenbosch Gardens, I personally think it needs more than a 'pit stop'.

wales
Level Contributor
334 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cape Point day trip

Some great advice thanks everyone, i will visit Kirstenbosch on a separate occasion so how does this sound? Leave Camps Bay at 8.30ish making my first stop in Kalk Bay. Then onto Simons Town and Boulders Beach before getting to Cape Point About 1pm. Have a walk and a picnic there before heading up for a stop in Scarborough. A walk on Noordhoek beach before driving Chapman's Peak at sunset and possibly finish off in Hout Bay at Chapmans peak Hotel. I will combine Llandudno with my day at Kirstenbosch gardens.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
851 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cape Point day trip

Definately visit Llandudno if only to compare it to Llandudno in Wales after which it has been named, quite a difference!!!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,768 posts
5,791 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cape Point day trip

>>>>>i will visit Kirstenbosch on a separate occasion so how does this sound?<<<<<

Might I suggest the City Sightseeing Bus Tour? The blue line includes a stop at Kirstenbosch so you'd have it covered as part of the stops you could make on this day trip. Hout Bay and Camps Bay are also on this route. See link (w/pictures) if useful.

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Have a nice trip.

9. Re: Cape Point day trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 11:18