We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great white shark viewing tours in mid-March

Which Cape Town hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
337 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Great white shark viewing tours in mid-March

Hello,

I will be in Cape Town in mid March and would simply like to go on a great white shark watching tour as I have no aspirations to get in the water with them. I have read that peak predation season begins in April, however, I am wondering if anyone is familiar w/ a company that offers day trips to areas where great white sharks feed, etc. for observation from above. Rate information appreciated, as well. Thank you!

1. Re: Great white shark viewing tours in mid-March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 March 2013, 08:05
Hermanus, South...
Level Contributor
259 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great white shark viewing tours in mid-March

If you google " shark cage diving in Cape Town " you will be able to get the details of several operators. I did hear that some operating from the Simonstown area only start diving from May. Not sure about that fact. However there are some 7/9 operators that launch from Gansbaai which is the main cage diving spot. They arrange transfers from Cape Town. Shop around for specials. As far as I know you pay the same even if you do not dive.

NYC
Level Contributor
65 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great white shark viewing tours in mid-March

We will be in South Africa early May and I have already scheduled and confirmed with Great White Shark Tours email: info@sharkcagediving.net. Brian MacFarlane has gotten excellent reviews and is well known in the industry. Just email them and check them out also on this website. We are scheduled to go on May 7th. Have fun and post your review!!!

4. Re: Great white shark viewing tours in mid-March

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 March 2013, 02:05
Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
4,251 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great white shark viewing tours in mid-March

Controversial.

Some believe that the operators, who "chum" to attract the sharks are making the sharks accustomed to boats, and humans, thereby resulting in increased shark attacks on boats, fishermen, surfers etc.

The operators deny this, as they would, but, it is controversial.

One would not walk/drive around Kruger National Park dragging a lump of bloody meat to attract lions / hyaenas, would one?

Just saying

Edited: 15 March 2013, 19:36
Butte Des Morts
Level Contributor
156 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Great white shark viewing tours in mid-March

Mid-March may not be "high season for Shark viewing" at Seal Island South of Cape Town, but during the winter months the Great White Sharks are extremely active around the island. Simon's Town Boat Company offers 2 boat trips a day out to the island for R350.00 from Simon's Town. www.boatcompany.co.za/i_sealisland.html

If you don't see sharks, you may see seals, whales, dolphins, penquins and other birds.

There isn't any baiting of sharks or getting in a cage in the water with them. The viewing would be from above from the boat.

If you go, please tell us about your trip. We have it on our list for our October trip.

7. Re: Great white shark viewing tours in mid-March

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2014, 04:18