We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 nights in CPT - does this sound feasible

Which Cape Town hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Scotland
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Topic
5 nights in CPT - does this sound feasible

Hello, we are all booked up for our honeymoon to SA and just can't wait!! we have 5 nights in CPT and are pulling together a plan. Can you advise if this looks feasable??

21st april - Arrive into CPT on Rovos Rail. Transfer to hotel. Spend afternoon exploring the Waterfront. Dinner & Drinks

22nd - Table top mountain in the morning & afternoon tea somewhere (any recommendations?). Dinner & Drinks at Long St? again any recommendations?

23rd - Township tour / cooking class. What else should we do this day / night?

24th - Pick up hire car (will they drop this at the htoel for us?) - Shark diving (not sure who with?). Can we combine the shark diving with boulder beach on this day to see the penguins?

25th - Spa day at the Mangawanani spa V&A waterfront and dinner at the Test Kitchen

26th - Drive to Franschhoek, Check in and have lunch at La Petite Ferme (we are staying here). Evening relaxing. Taxi into town for wander about light dinner etc

27th - Do the Franschhoeck wine tour tram visiting XYZ. Dinner at the Tasting Room

28th - Wine tour on horseback (paradise stables – stopping at the Rickety Bridge Winery & Mont Rochelle before returning to the stables 8.45am – 13.15pm). Followed by a picnic lunch at Solms Delta Wine Estate. is it possible to arrange taxis for this day so as we don'tl need to drive and can fully enjoy the wine tasting!

29th - Early departure from Franschhoek to drive along garden route to Hogs Hollow. Dinner at Hogs Hollow. How long will this take? What is the best route? We would like to stop off and see perhaps Ostriches / have lunch on the way? Can you recommend somewhere?

Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thx

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3,589 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 nights in CPT - does this sound feasible

Congratulations, SA will be a fabulous honeymoon destination.

22nd, -be aware that it may not be possible to visit Table Mountain by cable car on the day you want, due to clouds or high winds. Buy your ticket on line in advance to avoid the long queues if the cable car has been out of action for a few days. Check their website before setting off as ,although the mountain may look clear, the winds may be high.

We had a great afternoon tea at the Mount Nelson Hotel, try the strawberry and vanilla tea.

You don't mention one of the most enjoyable days (we spread it out over 2 ) to be spent in the CT area, that is the Cape Peninsular drive. Beaches, views, Cape of Good Hope Light house, Simonstown with nearby Boulders Beach for penguins, baboons , ostriches , great eating opportunities, Kirstenbosch gardens, I could spend a week in this area alone.

Everyone has different interests and I expect many people will not share my opinion,but I would miss out the Township/cooking day and drive the Peninsular instead, particularly if I was on my honeymoon.. Food is mostly Western based unless you will be learning Cape Malay type cooking . You will be saddened by the dire poverty of the Townships that you will see everywhere whilst driving in SA . I am not sure what you would gain from seeing them up close unless you have a professional interest in poverty , deprivation and its the causes in SA or you have a specific skill on offer for a short time. Would you take a ride through the deprived estates in Scotland whilst on honeymoon ? I have just returned from another visit to the Far East, where visits to orphanages seem to be on the increase as a tourist activities . Very strange in my opinion.

I think the shark diving is in an entirely different direction than the shark cage diving, but there are more penguins in Betty's Bay which I think is in the general direction of the sharks .

My daughter and husband enjoy fine dining all over the world and to date say that the Tasting Room in Franschoek has been the best. .

Your hotel or stable should be able to arrange taxis for 28th.

We drove from Franschoek to Oudtshoorn. It took 5 hours with a lunch stop at Montagu and coffe at Ronnies Sex Shop. The drive is spectacular and shouldn't be rushed. If Hogs Hollow is near Kynsna, then that is a further 1 1/2 hours on from Outdtshoorn, so I am not sure if you would have time for a visit to an ostrich farm . Oudtshoorn is worth an overnight stop, as well as ostrich farms there are the Cango caves and the highlight of our trip which was the Meerkat Adventure

There are many regular posters on TA who visit SA on a regular basis and I am sure they will be pitching in with their own opinions.

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
13,154 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 nights in CPT - does this sound feasible

I think the Franschhoek Wine Tram stops at Rickety Bridge so you may not want to visit it twice!

We always have our hire car delivered to our hotel but it does incur a small fee. We hire with Avis.

Hope you have a lovely honeymoon.

north yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 nights in CPT - does this sound feasible

Ref. your day at Table Mountain followed by afternoon tea. The Mount Nelson is wonderful for afternoon tea. However, not sure you would make an evening meal after indulging yourselves! We just arrived home yesterday and the Mount Nelson was one of the highlights of our stay.

Scotland
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 nights in CPT - does this sound feasible

Hello, thank you so much for all your replies!!! and you are right i can't believe i missed the Cape Peninsular drive / penguins at Boulders Beach etc as this is actually one of the key things we had wanetd to to do!!! Planning a 3 day wedding followed immeditely by a 3 week honeymoon is now frazzling my brain i think!! You are right, we will be better froppigtn he cooking school for this. It wasn't so much the township / pverty we wanetd to see as the actually cookign school (we have done cookign schools all over Asia etc and always really enjoyed it but, having done malay cookign in malaysia i do think the time will be better spent in SA exploring.

We will buy out Table top ticket in advance and aim to do it on the first day in case the weather is bad so as we can shuffle our time if need me.

When i talk about shark diving i meant shark cage diving! - any recommendations for this?

based on the feedback re the Moutnt nelson we will defo go there for afternoon tea - and skip dinner in the evening!

Re are really lookgin forward to the the wine tram so we may give the horse riding wine tour a miss (as you say, we don't to got to Rickety Bridge twice!) and then we can do something else in Franschhoeck and go horse riding at the Craggs when staying at Hog Hollow.

We now have a reservation at the Tasting Room for the 27th, can't wait!!

Thanks again for all your help.

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3,589 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 nights in CPT - does this sound feasible

Hi landsidegirl,

the trip sounds fabulous .

have you been following Channel 5's series Charley Boorman in South Africa?There are several more programms to go, he starts off in CT and does shark cage diving , it's not for the faint hearted!.

channel5.com/shows/…episode-1-512

lots of You Tube clips of shark diving also. If you type 'shark cage diving Cape' into the search function above I am sure there will be recommendations. '

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
3,261 posts
514 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 nights in CPT - does this sound feasible

Hi

Think you have made a good decision on the cooking school. I did the "Malay cooking safari" a few years ago. It was nowhere near as good as those that I have done in Vietnam and Cambodia!

Definitely include a trip to Cape Point via Chapman's Peak, Hout Bay (Cape Point vineyards at Noordhoek worth a stop). I also like the beach at Scarborough....

Constantia is also worth a visit. Not sure what Kirstenbosch gardens are like in April, but they are my favourite botanical gardens anywhere (and I have been to lots!). The wineries in Constantia are also worth calling in on. One of the reasons I love Constantia, is because it so green - lots of trees and vines! Seems like you like good food and some excellent restaurants in Constantia - La Columbe for fine dining and another of my favourites, Bistro Sixteen82 on Steenberg wine estate for lunch or eary evening tapas.

When you are in Franschhoek I would also recommend La Motte for lunch or dinner (although it is only open a few nights for dinner). On our last holiday, we quite often went to some really top restaurants and just had a main course for lunch, with the exchange rate they were really good value and then we still had room for dinner!

Lisa

Be prepared for tight clthing on the flight home!

Lisa

Kent
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 nights in CPT - does this sound feasible

When at Table Mountain also pop across to Signal Hill. You can do the shark cage diving from Simon's Town or Gansbaai. You can do horse riding on Noordhoek beach in Cape Town.

The BBC Africa series on Wednesday night is about the Cape.

8. Re: 5 nights in CPT - does this sound feasible

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2014, 05:16