We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baboons at Cape Point

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
95 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Baboons at Cape Point

We will be travelling with a 12 month old baby soon to Capetown, and will do a day trip south to Cape Point. I hear the baboons there in the car park and surrounds can be pesky, and wonder how serious they would be with a baby in a stroller? Would there be any real danger? I realise we have to take care in all situations, but not knowing the habits of wild baboons I thought I would ask the question. Thank you.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,936 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baboons at Cape Point

You need to be aware, but you will be fine. At least at Cape Point itself. You should be very aware at some of the less visited areas. Not a reason to not go, just be very aware.

The last time I was there I saw a family at one of the less crowded parking areas get seriously menaced by some baboons. Nobody got hurt, but it was a very scary situation. At the main parking area though, you will be fine. Plenty of staff and visitors, from very young to old.

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baboons at Cape Point

The main problem is if you carry a bag with you that the baboons think might contain food. Avoid having any food on you when you get out of your car, even a regular backpack without food can attract a baboon's attention. Even food in the car is a problem, best to lock it in the boot, and look around before you open the doors. Baboons have been known to jump into a car to get to some food or grab a bag. The baby in the stroller will be no problem, unless you have food in the stroller, or a bag with snacks hanging from the handlebar. With these basic precautions and awareness, enjoy your trip to Cape Point and don't let the worry about baboons spoil your enjoyment of a fantastic day out with beautiful scenery! Last couple of times I was there, there were no baboons.

Onne from Wild Wings Safaris

Cape Town
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Baboons at Cape Point

Baboons want food and nothing else. And they associate people, their homes and their cars with food. They know handbags or bags carry or hide food.

They are not at all interested in you. Never. But if you are trying to hide food and they see or smell it then you may have a problem. Be alert.

We live a few ks from Cape Point. And they raid houses if they are allowed to. But the baboon monitors do a great job.

One large male baboons came in to our home while I was working at the kitchen table. The dogs barked at him. He jumped from here to there. Grabbed an avocado and left.

My point; he was only interested in food. If he wanted to attack he could have done it many times. My point: he only attack when he is in danger. He only looks viscous when you try and grab your handbag from him.

Hide all food. Never feed baboons. Close all windows and lock all doors. That's been said. There are many thousands of people visiting this area and they have no problem at all.

Regards

Johan Horak

Cape Town Holiday Accommodation Agency

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
95 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Baboons at Cape Point

Thank you all for your replies, caution re food duly noted, hehe.

5. Re: Baboons at Cape Point

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2014, 05:16