We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much to hire a driver for the day?

Which Cape Town hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,306 posts
376 reviews
Save Topic
How much to hire a driver for the day?

Hello I think for our 2nd week in SA we are hiring a car but I just wondered how much it would be to hire a driver for the winelands for the day or whether it was more cost effective for 2 people to join a tour? Also it would be great to get some personal recommendations. I just thought it would be nice to go on a few tastings all on the same day.

north yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much to hire a driver for the day?

I have researched this for myself a couple of times. Hiring a car and driver for the day is around £150. You can join a tour for around £60 per person. Much too expensive for this Yorkshire lass. So we are going to stay in Franschoek for 3 nights on our next trip and taxi to the wine estates. That is because we like a drink and hate "spitting out" good wine. We have tried taking it in turns to drive but it is not really good for the driver. Also in Franschoek, there is the Wine Tram which goes around several wine estates.

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,306 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much to hire a driver for the day?

oooh - all aboard the wine train. Wooo Wooooo! That sounds great Joyce. Probably our best bet. And I am right with you - who spits out perfectly good wine?

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,289 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much to hire a driver for the day?

The licensed Guide whom I use and recommend charges R2000 for a full day. You can see more at his site: www.kestrelservices.co.za

Edited: 02 March 2013, 17:27
Cape Town, South...
Destination Expert
for Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
899 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How much to hire a driver for the day?

It would be illegal for a taxi to take you around because they are not touring vehicles and there are "inspectors" around. In fact I think that a taxi for the day will cost you more.

Greater Manchester
Level Contributor
140 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How much to hire a driver for the day?

Hi jean-s - I can second bwanadave's recommendation of John Farthing at Kestrel Services.

I did a winelands tour with him, which was excellent. He listened to what we wanted and then came up with some suggestions of his own, so we ended up with a day that was tailored to our likes and was very interesting and varied. The wine farms were so different from each other, but all of a high standard. When we decided we didn't want to visit a fourth place he simply adjusted the day. We also included a stop in Stellenbosch for sight-seeing and lunch. The fact that it was our day, rather than a pre-set trip with other people, to me made it well worth spending the money (and the exchange rate is even better at the moment!).

I don't think you can go wrong with John and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him.

JSCAPM

north yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much to hire a driver for the day?

I wasn't meaning take a taxi for the day. I was meaning perhaps visiting one a day taking a taxi from the hotel and arranging for them to pick us up later.

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,306 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much to hire a driver for the day?

thank you so much for your responses. The Kestral services looks fantastic. What I might do is book them for our airport transfers and then use them on a half day tour of the Peninsular so we can get a feel of the roads before picking up our hire car but actually stay in Franschoek for a couple of nights when we have our car and use the train if we want to do wine tastings. I have a plan! Thank you.

Greater Manchester
Level Contributor
140 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How much to hire a driver for the day?

Hi jean-s - sounds like a great idea, we also did a Cape Peninsula trip with him and that was equally good. The wine train does sound fab though and we might give that a try on our next holiday in September.

JSCAPM

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,335 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much to hire a driver for the day?

Hi jean-s

There are plenty of recommended guides at this link tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g312659-Activiti…

Pasco, Washington
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How much to hire a driver for the day?

I just returned from a 3 part Africa trip, Cape Town 4 days being the last portion. I used Craig from http://trailfinders.co.za/ as our guide for 3 of the 4 days. It was money well spent, as we would never have been able to see on our own what we accomplished with him. I had several emails over the 6 months before departure to work out an itinerary that met our needs. I told him what we wanted to see and he added items to round it out.

Very knowledgeable and was able to narrate during the trip. Very pleasant to talk to and spend 3 days with.

I would highly recommend him.