We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape Town or Camps Bay

Which Cape Town hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Grimsby, United...
Level Contributor
274 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Cape Town or Camps Bay

Hi my self and my hubby are coming for a 2 week holiday end of oct- nov and are staying for 11 days before we go to Kruger but I'm not sure where to stay we like the beach and u know camps bay has a beach please help

Thanks Lisa x

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
352 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape Town or Camps Bay

Hi Lisa

11 days is a long time to spend around Cape Town or Camps Bay, maybe you should think about a few days somewhere else as well.

On our first trip we stayed in Cape Town but now always stay in Camps Bay. It is worth knowing that whilst the beach is lovely at Camps Bay, the ocean is very very cold.

BW AB

Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape Town or Camps Bay

I don't find it too long at all, we usually do 14 days in Cape Town and 8-9 days in Sabi Sand. Previously we did our full stay in Camps Bay but this year we will split it between Camps Bay, Cape Town proper and Stellenbosch.

Grimsby, United...
Level Contributor
274 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape Town or Camps Bay

Thank you we are only using it as a base as we plan to do as much as poss before we go to Kruger x

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
13,212 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cape Town or Camps Bay

Haxby, Camps Bay is lovely.... often very windy and the sea is icy but it is a nice place to stay. You can easily get into Cape Town from there and presuming you will have a car, can drive out to the Winelands etc etc and have a great time. We usually spend about a week in Cape Town and find there is masses and masses to do. You are going at the right time of year to do some whale watching in Hermanus and it would be a pity not to IMHO. It is an easy drive and will take about an hour and a half. It might be a nice idea to spend a night there. We stayed in the Harbour House Hotel which is right on the sea front and highly recommended. Hope you have a great holiday.

Grimsby, United...
Level Contributor
274 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cape Town or Camps Bay

Thank you for that really looking forward to it can't wait we've found a lovely Appartment in Camps Bay, not sure about driving tho think we are going to use a tour company for transport seeing as it is our first visit how far is Camps Bay from Cape Town? X

Hermanus, South...
Level Contributor
259 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cape Town or Camps Bay

Camps Bay is about 15 min drive (nonpeak). It is about 2 km from the Clifton beaches that are generally sheltered from wind. Strongly suggest you hire a car. This affords total flexibility for trips in and around the peninsula, the Winelands and further afield like Hermanus via a stunning drive around the coast from Gordon's Bay. Oct/ nov still has the whales present in Hermanus. Why not stay over a night or two? Hermanus has beautiful beaches, really fine wine estates, excellent eateries and its famous cliff paths from which to observe the whales. How about a shark cage dive experience?

WK

Grimsby, United...
Level Contributor
274 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cape Town or Camps Bay

Ok might look into driving then if you think we'll be ok? Oh the shark cage is in our must do lust also my husband wants to do the bungee!! The list is endless!!! X

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cape Town or Camps Bay

I would stay a few days in Camps bay then move on along the garden route, definitely hire a car, south Africa is a very easy place to drive as there's not much traffic once you get out of the cities.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cape Town or Camps Bay

Hi Cape Town is huge. And Camps Bay is great, Clifton is even better if you want to be on the beach. Bantry Bay also have beach homes and there's no real wind. Going closer to Cape Town it get's less expensive. The Waterfront can be expensive - but no beaches. Mouille Point is lovely - not far from the WaterFront and it's quiet.

Great options are to choose a False Bay village where the water is warmer. Here's a summary of some of the important areas in and around Cape Town http://goo.gl/dKGPq

Regards

Johan Horak

Cape Town Accommodation

Ilkley, United...
Level Contributor
957 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cape Town or Camps Bay

Camps Bay gets my vote. Plus hire a car - driving is very easy and gives you the freedom to go where and when you want.

Ask if you need any help.