We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anything worth noting on these 3 options?

Wadesville, Indiana
3 posts
Save Topic
Anything worth noting on these 3 options?

My wife and I are staying a week in Cape Town in the winter. We have our loding narrowed down to 4 options - and are having a really tough time deciding. The reviews are all similar and very good. They are completely different in terms of location, view, and inclusions it seems. One offers a sea view (which is nice) - but a different one offers complimentary sherry and port in the evenings (equally as nice). So those differences do not make one superior to the other for us. Price isn't a factor as all 4 fit into our budget based on the quotes I received and availability is not an issue either.

We do want excellent service. Very clean rooms. Safe location. Being able to walk to restaurants and shopping is a plus, but as long as we can taxi or hotel transfer, that is completely acceptable as well. If anyone has any input on any of these - we would really appreciate your help making a choice.The four are:

Manna Bay

Primi Royal

The Three Boutique Hotel

An African Villa

Wadesville, Indiana
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Anything worth noting on these 3 options?

Sorry. The title is misleading. I meant 4 options :)

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
5,110 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anything worth noting on these 3 options?

Hi, I cannot assist with your request, but I am curious.

You say you will be in Cape Town in the winter.

Which winter..... Indiana Winter, or Cape Town Winter?

Just Curious.

Wadesville, Indiana
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Anything worth noting on these 3 options?

Cape Town winter

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3,969 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anything worth noting on these 3 options?

we stayed in Primi Royal last January and have booked again for this coming December. We had the rooms at the very top which have huge balconies and a seating area inside . My daughter had the one with a bath tub on the balcony . The staff are great, nothing is too much trouble. Last visit , we were able to send out for food from one of their restaurants ( Primi something or other) if you do not fancy going out. They are happy to dish up the food for you in the dining area and provide utensils etc. Camps Bay is very nice, a few minuteswalk to the beach and restaurants and a very safe area to walk around at night. The Hop On Hop Off bus stop is also a few minutes walk from the Primi. It is about 15 minutes by road to the Waterfront complex or a cheap taxi ride .

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,811 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anything worth noting on these 3 options?

I can also recommenf the other Primi property - Primi Sea Castle. Especially the 2 suites with terraces.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,811 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anything worth noting on these 3 options?

Might also check the Romney Park Suites. A gorgeous place with attractive winter rates.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
52 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anything worth noting on these 3 options?

We also stayed at the Primi Royal last year in November and would reccomend. Amazing views, very safe area and just a few minutes walk to lovely restaurants. Camps Bay is a lovel base, very relaxed feel to it and you can be in Cape Town in 10 minutes or so (driving). I wpuld reccomend a car for your time there, makes getting around so much easier.

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anything worth noting on these 3 options?

Personally I would opt for An African Villa. Being close to the sea in winter may not be the best option. Rather go for the eveningwarming port!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
90 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anything worth noting on these 3 options?

We stayed at Primi Royal in mid-July 2012. Excellent lodging and location. We actually stayed in both rooms 9 and 10. Upon reserving, I had requested a specific room (can't remember which of the two). When we checked-in, we were put into the non-requested room for a night, even though I tried to remind them of my request. Over night, they must have gone back to review their notes, because the next morning when we went down for the complimentary breakfast (hot breakfast, good choices), the front desk guy told us they'd be moving us to the room across the hall, which we had initially requested.

In reality, both rooms 9 and 10 are great choices. Room 9 has the better view, but Room 10 has a great view too and has a bath tub on an elevated floor so you can enjoy the same views as you would of the ocean. And as I write this, I think I now remember I requested room 9 and perhaps the reason why...it had a jacuzzi outside on the balcony...I think. One of the two had that.

In terms of service, I don't know how what to say about that. They were nice and met all of our requests...but we didn't really interact with the front desk too much once we got there.

And if the evening port is important, perhaps you can contact Primi Royal again and tell them that the one thing the other three hotels are offering which is important to you is the complimentary evening drinks, you can see if they'll match it. Shouldn't be too much for them to give up in return for a booking.

Enjoy - we loved South Africa. Only downer going in the Cape Town winter is that there's rain...but when the sun is out, it's gorgeous!

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,070 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anything worth noting on these 3 options?

Really Steve - you can buy a WHOLE BOTTLE of Port at the bottle store in Cape Town (not the airport) for probably R60-R120 so thats from $5-$15 approx. so dont worry about the free port. Macsym is the only one that recommends AN African Villa. Personally even though it is still winter I would rather recommend the position of Primi cause its in a good area. Romney Suites that Dave recommends is also good but a totally different area. Its in Green Point as opposed to Camps Bay and nearer to the Waterfront and town and also close to the bus routes. Their rooms are lovely - i went to look at them. Dont know the others.