We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suburb Choice and Ease of Getting Around without a Car

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
27 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Suburb Choice and Ease of Getting Around without a Car

Hi Guys,

We arrive in Cape Town for 5 days mid-Sept after a 2 month overland trip and are currently looking at different hotels/B&B's. We have narrowed down our preferred choices to a few places in Gardens, Bantry Bay, de Waterkant and central in Heritage Square (mainly due to great reviews here on TA).

Since we will have just spent 2 months on a bus and plan a 6 day drive on the Garden Route following our 5 days in Cape Town I don't really want to hire a car in the city mainly because I'll just want a break from being in a vehicle all the time! Our time in the city will be more focused on museums, dining, table mountains walks and other city attractions and relaxing.

With this in mind can anyone let us know how easy it is to get around the city, public transport looks limited, with the HOHO bus offering a couple of routes? Are taxi's reliable? What sort of fare would we be looking at say from Bantry Bay or Gardens to the V&A Waterfront. Once in the city centre is it possible to walk between major attractions or is a taxi ride still required?

Also a quick thanks to regular contributors on a great forum, these threads have been a fantastic help in planning over the last week.

Cheers.

Ontario, CAN
Level Contributor
491 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suburb Choice and Ease of Getting Around without a Car

We did a week without a car in CT but used the HOHO to get to the major sites most often (2 day pass). We also took several taxis and found that worked just fine and they were quite reasonable compared to home. There was a hotel across the street from our apartment and so "reliable" taxis were easily available there. If memory serves me correctly it cost about 100 - 120 Rand for 3 of us to get to V&A from Sea Point. It may depend whether you want to be out and about late into the evening...we were not! Although we did love the location (we walked to restaurants etc.), we might be tempted to stay closer to central, say Mouille Point or Green Point next time. I think bottom line....you will have to use the HOHO or a taxi to get round to most of the major sites.

Harare, Zimbabwe
Level Contributor
809 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suburb Choice and Ease of Getting Around without a Car

I would skip Bantry Bay as an option to stay. Apart from the stunning view there are not a lot of restaurants / attractions in the area. Both of your other choices are good, but De Waterkant is the best in my opinion. Its vibey ,and near the Waterfront, There are loads of restaurants in the area as well. In addition its a more central option for taxis.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
452 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suburb Choice and Ease of Getting Around without a Car

If you intend to visit museums and would like to be pretty central then your choice for the Gardens area is perfect. You can practically reach most museums, plenty of shops, restaurants, etc on foot. You also have the hop-on, hop-off bustop close by.

On top of that Gardens is a pretty quiet and upmarket area.

Bantry Bay is too way out, you will need a taxi for every little thing you do, there are not even restaurants close by.

Regards

Michelle

Owner - Cape Town Guide

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
27 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suburb Choice and Ease of Getting Around without a Car

Thanks for the help guys, I think we have decided on a place in the Gardens/Tamboerskloof area where we can walk to places and can hopefully get to the HOHO and MyCiti buses easy enough when required.

Cheers.

north yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suburb Choice and Ease of Getting Around without a Car

We've stayed in that area of CT on our last 3 visits and have booked again. We find it really accessible and as noted by others, taxis are not too expensive for the longer distances. I am sure you will enjoy.

6. Re: Suburb Choice and Ease of Getting Around without a Car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 April 2014, 06:17