We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's happened to the top restaurants in Cape Town

malaysia
Level Contributor
164 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
What's happened to the top restaurants in Cape Town

The top 100 restaurants in the world usually had a good number from the cape region if you count franschoek but this time around, alas only two made the list. What's happening?

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
5,160 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's happened to the top restaurants in Cape Town

Change in what;s fashionable, perhaps?

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's happened to the top restaurants in Cape Town

Well at least the two SA restaurants in the list have climbed in the rankings, which is more than can be said for many of the previous entries in the top 100. Also remember that in terms of international pricing the two SA restaurants offer tremendous value for money. A meal for two at USA's best may set you back R10,000 where as in Cape Town the best will give you change from R2,000

malaysia
Level Contributor
164 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's happened to the top restaurants in Cape Town

I fully agree with you Macsym, that there is tremendous value for money in dining in SA, And perhaps it is a good thing that the list does not include so many Cape restaurants. After La Colombe got into the rankings, it was definitely more difficult to get a meal there without booking ages in advance.

Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's happened to the top restaurants in Cape Town

You will notice that most of these lists like to recognize the new "it spots", places that are consistently good often drop off the list after a few appearances.

London, England...
Level Contributor
2,558 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's happened to the top restaurants in Cape Town

Speaking of CT restaurants, I had a lovely meal at the highly recommended Roundhouse restaurant in Camps Bay a couple of years but recently heard of a review slating it saying it's gone right downhill.

Is there any truth in this? I was looking at returning when I'm next in CT.

Harare, Zimbabwe
Level Contributor
809 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's happened to the top restaurants in Cape Town

Restaurants in CT that feature are great for expense accounts and tourists. But I guess its all relative, and I am guilty of paying those prices, but they are out of the league of many South Africans. I am sure I am going to spark debate here, but I honestly feel the prices are becoming exorbitant. in the local economy.

I also agree with Doggles 10. It depends what you want. There are still great restaurants serving fabulous food in the city that do not make the "hot and happening " list .

north yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's happened to the top restaurants in Cape Town

Hi Madaboutwine. We have noticed a sharp increase in prices, particularly at the Waterfront and commented to each other in November that they were eventually going to price themselves out of the market. We hardly ever go to the "top" restaurants as we think they are overpriced, apart from, of course, La Colombe where we went for a very special "65th birthday"

8. Re: What's happened to the top restaurants in Cape Town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2014, 07:17