We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Four girls mid-20s backpacking Cape Town

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Four girls mid-20s backpacking Cape Town

Hello,

There will be four of us backpacking through Cape Town in July, I believe 10 days total. I see from previous topics that many people have said that a week is usually not enough to see everything. I think so far we are interested in visiting the Garden Route, Stellenbosch, Table Mtn, and wildlife parks/penguins/seals in the area. Anyone have any more suggestions on things we MUST see in those 10 days? Or places to go to, to see these penguins and seals? All four of us are veterinary students so we do love our animals :) I also heard Greenmarket is good for shopping. Thanks in advance!

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
967 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Four girls mid-20s backpacking Cape Town

Hi, definitely add a safari in one of the reserve near PE.

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
4,849 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Four girls mid-20s backpacking Cape Town

A week is definitely insufficient.

In order to do justice to the various sites............

Table mountain, one day

Penguins at boulder beach, one day

Cape Point Nature Reserve one day

Stellenbosch one day

Shopping one day

Kirstenbosch National Botanical Gardens, one day

Garden route ....... well you can take a week for this alone..........The garden route extends over a distance of over 200 Km, and ten nature reserves representing the varied ecosystems of the area as well as unique marine reserves, home to soft coral reefs, dolphins, seals and a host of other marine life, are to be found here.

Various bays along the Garden Route are nurseries to the endangered Southern Right Whale which come there to calve in the winter and spring (July to December).

The Garden Route is also home to the worlds highest bridge bungy jump, the Bloukrans Bridge Bungy

enjoy your visit

Table View, South...
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Four girls mid-20s backpacking Cape Town

As veterinary students you might find Sanccob a worthwhile visit. They do seabird and penguin rehab work. Their website is www.sanccob.co.za

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,054 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Four girls mid-20s backpacking Cape Town

If you have time constraints I don’t think you need a whole day each for Table Mountain or Cape Point or the penguins as one poster mentioned. You could easily do Table Mountain and Cape Town city sightseeing /shopping 1 day.

Another day do either a scenic self-drive or tour from Cape Town to Cape Point via Houts Bay (boat trips are available there to see seals, worthwhile and take about 45 minutes) then continue onto Chapman’s Peak to Cape Point and Cape of Good Hope Nature Reserve including the Point Lighthouse via the funicular and around the Cape Peninsula stopping at points of interest along the way including Boulders Beach/Simonstown to see the penguins. Then back to Cape Town.

Our party of 5 hired a registered local Tour Guide who had a minivan so we could sit back and relax and enjoy the wonderful scenery. Her having a lot of knowledge of the history and interesting info on all those places really made it special.

I think another day for Stellenbosch /Franschhoek and surrounds. It would be a pity not to see all the foregoing. This would still give you adequate time for a Garden Route trip with potential to visit one or more of the Game reserves. Hope this helps.

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3,898 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Four girls mid-20s backpacking Cape Town

poster 4 has summed up itinery suggestions very well for a short stay.

last year we stayed at Amakhala Game reserve near Port Elizabeth, it was very expensive, certainly not in the backpacker bracket. However, a few years ago there was a documentary in the UK following the work of UK veterinary students who did some of their training in Amakhala. It may be worth your time to contact them to see if they can offer anything that may interest you.

London, United...
Level Contributor
399 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Four girls mid-20s backpacking Cape Town

If you are healthy and have time, the best way to see Table Mountain is to hike up Platteklip gorge, Skeleton Gorge, Lion's Head or Kasteelspoort.

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,019 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Four girls mid-20s backpacking Cape Town

Wow - this is liike "if its tuesday it must be Belgium" kinda tour that "stargaze" is suggesting. Firstly no one mentions that July is the middle of winter, cold and rainy so most of what targaze and Gem are suggesting is all weather dependent. You are also backpacking from what i read so you wouldnt wanting to be doing Tours as such. If there are 4 of you it would be cheaper to hire a car and share it by 4. Also its not that safe 4 girls being alone. You certainly cannot do Table Mountain, cape Town sightseeing and Shopping all in ONE DAY.

London, United...
Level Contributor
399 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Four girls mid-20s backpacking Cape Town

I think Table Mountain is most of a day, with V&A for a quick hour shop before supper at the end of the day. Platteklip Gorge would be my tip - it is a busy route though and you will always have other hikers around.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,054 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Four girls mid-20s backpacking Cape Town

If you had read my post correctly diva they have only 10 days and want to cover a wide area so that it goes without saying backpacking to every place on their wish list within that time frame is the definition of impossible . However, there is four in the group and costs can be shared. And I did mention self drive as Gem said '' poster 4 has summed up itinery suggestions very well for a short stay. " ( I quote ). I am poster 4 if you wish to re read again .Everything is weather dependent especially Table Mountain but overseas visitors have to preplan an intinerary unless they have unlimited time and resources which most DO not. And even Cape Towners cannot predict Table Mountain on any hour of the day. Given the info Anri supplied my advice was quite valid and not to be belittled.

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,019 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Four girls mid-20s backpacking Cape Town

Poster 4 - I did not belittle you and read everything you said as well as everything everyone else said. I am entitled to disagree with you and I do disagree.I feel that what you are suggesting the girls do in one day is not doable in 1 day. That's how I feel. They can make their own decisions taking all suggestions into account so no need starting a fight on T/a which is ridiculous