We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your thoughts appreciated

New Jersey
Level Contributor
186 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Your thoughts appreciated

Happy Sunday.

I've been researching the South Africa forum for a couple of months now. I first came here to get thoughts on a Groupon with Africa Answers. Then considered SmartTours. In the end, we decided to travel with SAA vacations...their affordable South Africa tour for our first visit.

We arrive Thursday afternoon and will enjoy the evening on our own. Will will participate in an all-day Cape Point tour Friday. Saturday and Sunday are on our own. We are thinking to do a whale and wine tour Saturday or visit markets and enjoy Cape Town on our Own. Sunday, we will visit Robben Island on our own and enjoy the remainder as we wish.

Is a whale and wine tour to Hermanus worth it? Or just whale tour? Either way, interested to hear your recommendations on enjoying a weekend in Cape Town.

Thanks in advance.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
186 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Your thoughts appreciated

Failed to mention we are traveling at the end of August.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,039 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Your thoughts appreciated

Didn't want you to think nobody was listening to you. It looks like you have one free day, with the other two being devoted to the Cape Point and the other exploring CT, which seems like a good plan. I would be inclined to choose one activity or the other for the free day; i.e., either to go the Wine Country near Stellenbosch or go to Hermanus for whale watching (either of those two are easy day trips). You might want to make up your mind when you get closer so you can consider the weather, which could be a little cool/rainy in August. If the weather looked rainy I'd probably opt for a trip to the wineries where you can warm yourselves up with wine tasting and a cozy lunch at one of the estates. Either way you'll have a grand time, especially true being that you're a fungirl. ;-)

New Jersey
Level Contributor
186 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Your thoughts appreciated

Ha! @ fungirl!

Great advice to wait til we get closer. Both Saturday and Sunday are free for us. However, Robben Island is a must. We figure it would not take all day so we would visit with first group Sunday morning and then enjoy shopping at markets.

Avila Beach...
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Your thoughts appreciated

You may want to consider booking your Robben Island trip early on so you can attempt to reschedule if the weather is not cooperative (they will cancel tours if the ocean is too rough).

New Jersey
Level Contributor
186 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Your thoughts appreciated

Thanks for that feedback. Sunday will be our last day in CT and we were going to try the 9:00 tour. Is that too much of a risk? If the waters are rough and Sunday is canceled...we will miss out.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,573 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Your thoughts appreciated

Hi sk84fungirl

August is a good time to visit Hermanus for the whales. The shore based watching is usually good, but it is nature. There is also the scenic Clarence Drive going through Bettys Bay where there is another, less touristy, penguin colony

New Jersey
Level Contributor
186 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Your thoughts appreciated

Ya know, you think you have a lot of time but before I know it...I will have a few days to prepare for this trip. I love to research and appreciate all of the great ideas and feedback. Still trying to figure out our few days in CapeTown. We wanted to do whale and wine tour Sunday but are concerned about wineries being closed.

We'll figure it out...(-:

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,039 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Your thoughts appreciated

Everything you need to know about the wine region, sk84fungirl:

issuu.com/stellenbosch360/…

New Jersey
Level Contributor
186 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Your thoughts appreciated

Steveb - this is very nice! Thank you.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,039 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Your thoughts appreciated

You're welcome. We sk8rs (ice) need to help each other.