We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape Town in winter with kids. De Waterkant Village?

Sydney, New South...
Level Contributor
122 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Cape Town in winter with kids. De Waterkant Village?

After 3 different safari lodges up around Kruger, and before 5 nights on the Garden Route, we have 3 nights in Cape Town.

My husband and I are traveling with our 13 year old daughter and 9 year old son.

Our agent suggested an appartment in De Waterkant Village. Looking on the web, it looks intriguing. Would this be a good place for a family to stay.

When traveling we do not really like cities but figure we do have to see some of Cape Town.

Our list basically just includes Table Mountain and Robben Island.

I am tempted to make it just 2 nights in Cape Town as those 2 activities could be down in 1 day and then we could have an extra day on the Garden Route. But with only 1 whole day in Cape Town, are we risking missing out on Robben Island if there is bad weather (too rough for boats) But I guess if there is bad weather then it is likely to last more than 1 day anyway.

So in winter, do many Robben Island tours get cancelled due to rough seas? Do we need a back up day?

Any thoughts or suggestions? Any better places to stay with a family in Cape Town in winter?

Thanks

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
3,819 posts
544 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape Town in winter with kids. De Waterkant Village?

Hi

Will you have a car? If the answer is yes, then maybe somewhere out of the city centre may be more you. I was thinking Hout Bay or Constantia or maybe even Camps Bay

It is very easy to get around and a short drive to get to the places you want to visit. I definitely think you need 2 days

I have stayed in De Waterkant 3 times but not sure if I would choose it in the middle of winter with kids

Lisa

Berkhamsted, United...
Level Contributor
1,488 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape Town in winter with kids. De Waterkant Village?

I would stick with 3 nights. If you are lucky enough to fit the other 2 activites in one day, use the extra day to visit the penguins at Boulders Beach and see Cape Point, returning via Chapman's Peak Drive which will let you explore beyond the city.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,007 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape Town in winter with kids. De Waterkant Village?

De Waterkant Village puts you very close to the City and within easy walking distance to the shops, the City and also the Waterfront. You can easily get a taxi to get yourself around at the same time too. I would also suggest to stick to 3nights in Cape Town, just in case the weather does not play along. To get yourself further around the City, you can also make use of the Hop on Hop off Bus, www.citysightseeing.co.za .

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Kent
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cape Town in winter with kids. De Waterkant Village?

False Bay might suit you better ? Places like Kalk Bay, Clovelly, Simon's Town.

Sydney, New South...
Level Contributor
122 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cape Town in winter with kids. De Waterkant Village?

No, we won't have a car while in Cape Town. We pick one up after to do the Garden Route.

Any suggestions for family friendly hotels in Cape Town?

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
18 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cape Town in winter with kids. De Waterkant Village?

De Waterkant Village is fine. There's a Protea Hotel on Somerset if you are more inclined to a hotel rather than a b&b or self-catering apartment. I concur, with others, three nights, minimum!!! Less time on Garden Route and more for Cape Point and Winelands. There's the Red Hop-On Hop-Off Double Decker bus which also connects to the Blue Route to Constancia- a two day ticket also gets you onto a canal ride. It was winter and weather was cold, rainy and generally glum. So, have a museum or two picked out. The Ferry to Robben Island didn't run due to weather, though I later read about ship maintenance issues. The museum was informative enough and near Nobel Square and Clock Tower, Area there is being renovated, so a taxi only gets you so far. Should you go, my guide book suggested peeling off from the group and looking into the cells in cellblock A, esp. if your guide is not speaking clearly. The pancake house near the museum isn't there any more. Also, the same on line ticketing service for Robben Island also works for the Table Mountain Tram and the latter tix are good for two weeks from the first date you wanted. You can avoid the long ticket purchase line. The cafe up top has good food, reasonable prices and ample portions. The ferry would refund you if they cancel the ride. We based ourselves one night at Boulders Beach Lodge- that was a treat with the penguins ambling about, more in the parking lots than in the 'paid admission protected reserve area.' If you have a car and can handle with patience, rush hour traffic, I'd recommend the family room at Africa Lodge in Somerset West near to The Strand and to Constancia, Kirstenbosch Gardens and Stellenbosch, too.

7. Re: Cape Town in winter with kids. De Waterkant Village?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2014, 05:17