We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape Town Central vs Camps Bay in Winter with Kids

Sydney, New South...
Level Contributor
122 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Cape Town Central vs Camps Bay in Winter with Kids

The more I research, the more I get confused!

I have 3 nights in Cape Town in winter with hubby and kids aged 13 and 9. We wont have a car until we leave for 6 nights on the garden route and vineyards. The main attractions we are interested in Cape Town are purely Robben Island and Table Mountain. We have seen plenty of penguins so that doesn't get me overly excited.

If we stayed at Camps Bay, can we get to these 2 places without a car? shuttle services? taxis?

Thanks

If we stayed in Cape Town Central we would like a spectacular view but not necessarily a huge 5 star rate. Is this possible?

Sydney, New South...
Level Contributor
122 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape Town Central vs Camps Bay in Winter with Kids

Oh and can anyone recommend family friendly guest houses or hotels with lovely views in Camps Bay? Seems hard to specify "room with a view" in my searches!

Weybridge
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape Town Central vs Camps Bay in Winter with Kids

Hi,

You can catch the Hop On/Hop Off tourist/ open decker bus from outside the Bay Hotel (you don't have to sit upstairs if it is too cold or wet - I am assuming you mean you are going to SA in their winter time?) which takes you to the Waterfront, from where you can book/take the ferry to Robben Island, The bus then goes onto the Cablecar for Table Mountain. If you get a multiple day pass, for example, you can use this to get around very comfortably and easily. Otherwise, yes, there are taxis that you can use - your guest house will be able to recommend one to you to use, or there are always taxis along Camps Bay front too.

For hotels, try Primi Royal - about a minute walk from the front - they offer familiy rooms and are very reasonably priced. You may also want to contact Nox Rentals, who have a whole host of self-catering properties that may well be suitable for you - or try The Oceana too for self-catering apartments.

Tracey, Owner/Director - Travel Butlers

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,034 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape Town Central vs Camps Bay in Winter with Kids

I second Camps Bay as well for a 3day stay. Have a look at www.safarinow.com for more options for B&B's in the area. You can also have a look at: Azamare Guest House, Primi Royal Guest House, Camps Bay Resort, Ocean View House, Primi Sea Castle, The Place on the Bay etc. All of them is on the strip of the main road and close to restaurants.

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,012 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cape Town Central vs Camps Bay in Winter with Kids

Camps Bay is certainly a much better choice than the middle of Cape Town even if its winter. Just remember though that both the things you want to do are weather dependant so you might not be able to do them. We dont only have those 2 things and penguins here.

5. Re: Cape Town Central vs Camps Bay in Winter with Kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2014, 07:18