We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Township tour?

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,694 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Township tour?

We have decided against going to Robbin Islands, is that a sin?

But we are kind of interested in doing a Township tour. It just seems much more interesting and educational.

Should we do a township tour while we are in Cape Town? We have 4 days.

Can someone recommend a tour company to go with? We will have a rental car, but I understand we should only go to the townships with a tour.

north yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Township tour?

I'm with you on Robben Island. We did a half-day township tour (with District 6 museum) with Hylton Ross in 2008 - other than that I have no experience.

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
4,946 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Township tour?

Hi again

Yes you do need a guide to visit the townships.

We used Hylton Ross. Although they are big tour company the one we did was just two couples in a small van, and quite intimate. It was half day tour but we covered quite a lot of ground and saw much more than we expected.

The guide took us to the district six museum first which we found very interesting then on to the townships. We had a few stops, including visiting a day care type centre and a witchdoctor !

We really liked that the guide was from the area we visited, he knew lots of people and was very knowledgable, and we felt perfectly safe.

We also only had four days and did not get to Robben Is, it just depends on time and weather really and I think we learned a lot doing the tour. [BTW we didn't tour Alcatraz when we were in California either,lol]

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,694 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Township tour?

Ha, ha, I have been living in the Bay Area for almost 20 years now, and never bothered to go to Alcatraz! Until 2 years ago, I went as a chaperone for my daughter's 6th grade field trip. I did not enjoy it, probably because I had to watch 6 kids all on their audio tour ear phones, going on different directions, and not listening to me.

So, I don't want to visit South Africa's "Alcatraz" either.

Hylton Ross it is.

Thanks!

Cape Town
Level Contributor
733 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Township tour?

If I were you, I would go for a smaller operator. Because companies like hylton ross have MANY guides working for them, you will never know if you are going to get a good or a not-so-good guide.

Have a look at Camissa:

www.gocamissa.co.za

and Vamos:

http://www.vamos.co.za

Mark September

Small World Tours

north yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Township tour?

Mark - I agree with you - but I haven't any experience of anyone other than Hylton Ross. Gocamissa is well recommended on TA.

Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Township tour?

Robben Island isn't Alcatraz. Two very different tours, with two very different types of history.

Rocklin, California
Level Contributor
529 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Township tour?

The HOHO bus line advertises that you can get on township tours at a couple of the stops.

Are these tours recomended?

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,990 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Township tour?

I would recommend to do Robbin Island instead of a township tour. And yes you can do a township tour on the HOHO bus in Houtbay.

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours.

Bedford, Virginia
Level Contributor
440 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Township tour?

I did the HOHO tour 2 years ago and did not enjoy it. Every place the guide took us they were asking for money. "My friend cleans the toilets here and needs a new brush" " This is my cousins bar, would you please buy a drink"... You get the picture.

Avila Beach...
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Township tour?

At the township stop off the HOHO bus I was offered either a township tour or a tour of the teabag company. Would have liked to do both but due to time factors ended up at the teabag company. Interesting operation.