We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How does one rent a minivan with automatic transmission

Which Cape Town hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
chicago,Il
Level Contributor
18 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
How does one rent a minivan with automatic transmission

It seems all the vehicles available are manual transmission only. We need a mini van or other 7 passenger vehicle

chicago,Il
Level Contributor
18 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How does one rent a minivan with automatic transmission

What are the rates for taxis and would this be a viable alternative to renting a vehicle?

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,682 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How does one rent a minivan with automatic transmission

Have you tried carhire3000.com? I did not rent a minivan, but we rented an auto transmission 4 door car.

When we searched through the list of cars online, all the ones on the top of the list were stick shift, but then there were lots of auto transmission cars listed further down the list. So, I think you should be able to find a van with auto transmission.

SA is a good country to explore in your own car. I think you should stick to renting a car.

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
4,238 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How does one rent a minivan with automatic transmission

Automatic transmission "vans" are not very popular, probably because of the fuel consumption penalty!

However, if you search you should find one.

Mercedes Benz produce an automatic version of their Vito.

Hyundai produce an automatic version of their H1.

Volkswagen do not have an Automatic version of the Kombi, but they have something called a DSG ( Dual Clutch Gearbox) Probably still needs manual shifting, but supposed to be very smooth.

South Florida...
Level Contributor
96 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How does one rent a minivan with automatic transmission

I'm renting a mini van in SA, too, and while I do drive manual, I didn't want to try to figure that out whilst dealing with everything on the opposite side (road, shift, etc). I scoured the internet and found NOTHING but manual for vans. There are certainly sedans in automatic, but nothing for 7 people. So I booked a manual van. Will just have to deal with it. UGH. My only suggestion would be to look for a 5+2 seater that isn't classified as a "van" and see if there's an auto trans one. I think the Toyota Avanza can come with that +2 (but then very little luggage room).

But here's a tip: check rates like Tempest, Carrentals.com and etc against Avis with a discount code (I used one from the Costco website as I'm a member...but you can find appropriate Avis codes online anywhere). The price difference was more than $100 (from over $700 to $590). I could not waive the insurance (i'm covered with primary third party for CDW) but it includes liability ins, which I needed anyway.

5. Re: How does one rent a minivan with automatic transmission

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2014, 05:18