We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 nights in cape town

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Topic
5 nights in cape town

My wife and I will be in cape town for 5 nights from Nov 1- Nov 6. Our flight gets to capetown around 4pm on the 1st and we leave early morning on the 6th. We wish to visit the following places/activities. How do the experts recommend going about organizing these? Also anything else you'd recommend doing?

1) Robben Island

2) Table mountain - do we have time to do this on the 1st if we get to town by 5-6pm?

3) Cape of good hope

4) One day of wine tasting - what is the best way to do this? and any recommendations on wineries which combine some other activity with them (my wife doesn't drink much so need something to keep her entertained)

5) Shark diving - where is this done best? I've read Hermanus/Gansbaai but not very sure.

6) Whale watching - where is this done best?

7) Chapman's view/drive, falls bay, houts bay

Is there any must do that we've missed and can squeeze in the trip? Any scenic drives/nice beaches etc.?

Given the above, is a rental car necessary/required on all days?

Thanks a lot in advance for the help.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
733 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 nights in cape town

The last cable car up the mountain in November is 19:00 but you should call them to see if the mountain is open: +27 (0)21 424 8181.

If you can't get up the mountain on this day then you can easily do it on the day you do Robben Island. Both of these activities are weather dependant so try to plan them as early in your trip as possible which would at least give you the chance to re-schedule (though Robben Island can be booked up many days in advance). I would book both of these activities online. Robben Island tickets are only valid for the time and day you book them but Table Mountain tickets are valid for 14 days.

Your trip to the Cape of Good Hope will pass by Hout Bay, Chapmans Peak and FALSE Bay as well as the penguin colony in Simons Town.

Hermanus/De Kelders are the best places for whale watching so you can combine your shark diving trip with this. If you take the coastal road (Clarens Drive) it is spectacular.

If your wife does not drink then she can be the designated driver for your wine tour. There are lots of things to do in the area besides wine tasting. I really like Eagle Encounters, where they rehabilitate birds of prey for release into the wild and have several shows during the day where they demonstrate the trining techniques they use. You could also visit Cheetah Outreach where you can pet cheetahs! There are art galleries, museums (my favorite is the motor museum in Franschhoek) and several old manor houses which you can walk around (Vergelegen and Boschendal are my favorites). If neither of you want to drive, then I would recommend getting a private tour guide to take you around rather than a scheduled tour. This will give you much more flexibility.

Maybe think of doing a city tour on the open bus too and Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens.

If you want to see a different part of Cape Town, you could also do a township tour.

Hope this helps.

Mark September

Small World Tours

north yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 nights in cape town

Try this :

Relax on day you land and go for a nice meal.

Full Day 1 - HOHO Bus - to Waterfront (for trip to Robben Island and Table Mountain)

Full day 2 - HOHO Bus - to Constantia Valley and Kirstenbosch - or Day trip to Stellenbosch/Franschoek (either private tour or self drive)

Full day 3 - Cape of Good Hope, Hout Bay, Chapmans Peak, etc. (car)

Full day 4 - De Kelders/Gansbaii (car) as suggested by Mark.

Enjoy - fabulous place - can't wait to go on our 4th trip in January.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 nights in cape town

Thanks friends.

4. Re: 5 nights in cape town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2014, 06:22