We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Day meal

north east england
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Christmas Day meal

We are spending this Christmas in Cape Town for our first visit to South Africa , we are staying at Green Point

Can u recommend somewhere good to eat on Christmas Day so we can get booked up

2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas Day meal

Try spier in francshoek it awesome and pick what you want 5*

2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas Day meal

Try spier in francshoek it awesome and pick what you want 5*

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,195 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas Day meal

There’s a wide range of nice restaurants in CT and am sure you will get some good suggestions. You could check out Hussars Grill which has a restaurant in Green Point and one in Camps Bay as well and both are open on public holidays. I have eaten at the latter one.

(http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowUserReviews-g312658-d2678799-r142039734-Hussar_Grill-Camps_Bay_Western_Cape.html )

The menu is varied and is not just steak and grilled meat dishes but they would be the main reason most people go there. The rave reviews they receive are well deserved. You can book via email. I don’t know what the menu there for Christmas day is but food wise whatever you choose am sure you will enjoy and the prices are very reasonable for the quality you get.

http://www.hussargrill.co.za/

I don’t think you need to go all the way to Franschhoek to get a decent feed

Maun, Botswana
Level Contributor
532 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas Day meal

Will you really want a heavy Christmas meal in the high temperatures of December? Many restaurants follow the European tradition of Christmas Eve Dinners and leave Christmas Day for light meals

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,195 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas Day meal

Indeed, and am sure as many Ozzies will verify as the the temp soars light is best but some want traditional.Am sure CT can accomodate all tastes

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas Day meal

Hi,

Recommend Harbour House at Waterfront where there will be no surcharge for Xmas Lunch but two sessions, i.e. 12.30 and 2.30 p.m.

Several other restaurants are charging exorbitant prices.

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas Day meal

I am now going to have a little rant re TA. brentdunn79 - Spier is no where near francshoek or correctly Franschhoek and if you are in Green Point on Christmas Day, do you really want to go to Spier??

OP most of the good restaurants are closed on Christmas Day so Harbour House may well be a good option. If you can book soon!

Ilkley, United...
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
343 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas Day meal

We will be in Hout Bay over Christmas (6th time) and find that lots of restaurants are closed on the 25th. Marriners Wharf is usually open so fresh Calamari is a great meal for us.

I certainly wouldn't want a Christmas 'traditional' meal - that's why we come away!

And why would you want to travel to Spier when you are staying in Green Point?

If you are staying in a B&B maybe email them and ask about any local places that will be open on the 25th.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas Day meal

Hi,

Most of the five star hotel restaurants will be open as they have guests to serve. There are excellent restaurants at Twelve Apostles Hotel, Mount Nelson, Food Barn etc. but the problem is they are exceptionally expensive over Christmas and New Year so I would recommend places where normal prices prevail unless, of course, you don't mind paying in the region of R700 to R1,000 per person.

10. Re: Christmas Day meal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2014, 05:16