We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape Town helicopter filghtseeing

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
54 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Cape Town helicopter filghtseeing

Hello everyone,

I and my wife will have a short visit to Cape Town between May 17 and May 19, 2014 (just for 2 nights, but given the time restrictions we have, that would be better than not going at all).

I am a keen amateur photographer and would like to take aerial photos of the city and Table Mountain from a helicopter. I would appreciate your comments and opinions on several issues:

1. Do we need to make a reservation in advance or we can just phone 2-3 companies when we are already there? The only concern I have regarding advanced reservation is the weather, it might not be the best idea to have a prior arrangement for a specific time and to turn out that the weather conditions are not very good for aerial photography. We will be staying very close to V & A Waterfront, how likely would be finding a flight by just walking to the flightseeing companies without a prior arrangement?

2. Which company to choose? Since the tour would be about taking photographs, the decisive factor would be the type of chopper and the ability to have the clearest view for

Photography.

Sports Helicopters seem to operate JetRanger choppers which have a little window that could be opened if seating on the back seat. 20 minutes flight for 2 people is R 3650.

Cape Town helicopters seem to operate JetRangers and Robinson R44 choppers, the latter do not have any windows that I could open.

Nac Macana helicopters seem to operate both JetRangers and R44-s.

All three companies are located at V & A waterfront.

3. Any idea if any of the companies will allow to book a specific seat in advance if sharing the flight with other people or seat distribution will be on first come – first serve basis? Or depending on individual passenger’s weight for balancing the chopper?

Any opinions and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
54 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape Town helicopter filghtseeing

Sorry, I just missed one aspect of my inquiry:

Which side of the helicopter (left or right) provides a better views of Table Mountain? From the videos I have seen on YouTube it seems like the tours circle the Table Mountain in a counter-clockwise direction and the left side has better views, is that so or direction of the tours depends on wind or/and company?

Cheers!

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,067 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape Town helicopter filghtseeing

Most of the helicopters fly from the Waterfront anti clocks wise down to the Cape Point and then back to the Waterfront. With that said, you will then need to get a seat on the left of the helicopter. I would also suggest that you rather wait until you get here and book your trip, than wanting to book it know for next year.

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
54 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape Town helicopter filghtseeing

Many thanks, Hank.

Any other opinion will be also appreciated.

Cheers.

4. Re: Cape Town helicopter filghtseeing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2014, 05:18