We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mobile phones

London, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
mobile phones

Will my samsung smartphone work with my British Sim I am with

Vodaphone in England. Will be travelling in Cape Town and Route 62 and garden route. Will be using phone mainly for emails and internet at hotels which have wifi but want to be able to make calls in an emergency.

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,787 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mobile phones

I dont see a reason why it should not work, as long as your international roaming is active

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

north yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mobile phones

I am also with vodaphone in the UK and my phone works fine. in SA However, it is really expensive, but for a few calls it might be OK. If you want to make more calls buy a SA sim.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,015 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mobile phones

Be aware international roaming charges are very expensive (check with your provider to compare price as versus purchasing SA sim card.) You can purchase a prepaid SIM card online from B4iGO (link below) This ensures you get your mobile number before you land in South Africa preloaded with airtime to get you talking and in touch as soon as you have collected it. You can only receive the ph. no 2 weeks before you go. The advantage of getting your local number before you go means you can give it to family and friends before you depart for your trip so they have it on hand to call you when needed whether it’s for emergencies or whatever. With Vodashop stores at Cape Town, Johannesburg and Durban International airports, collection happens just after touch down. Packs start at R149 and go up according to call time credits and type of service e.g. broadband, data, sim, iPhone. There are Vodashops throughout SA if you need to top up the SIM. The cost of both local and international calls is very reasonable.

http://www.b4igo.travel/home/

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
14,741 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mobile phones

My phone works very well in Cape Town but as others have said, it is pretty expensive. I only use it to text and that is bad enough!!

Edited: 29 September 2013, 08:03
5. Re: mobile phones

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2014, 05:17