We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Petrol stations

Which Cape Town hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Petrol stations

Hi,

We will be travelling back to Cape Town international from hermanus in a hire car so will need to fill up near to the airport .I have looked on google earth along the airport approach road and the turning before Borcherds Quarry road but there dos not seem to be one on either .

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
54 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Petrol stations

There is a BP petrol station as you enter the airport. It's at the traffic lights at the entrance, you can't miss it.

north yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Petrol stations

There is a filling station on the airport just before you turn into the hire car return road.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,961 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Petrol stations

Fully agree that there is a BP Petrol Station at the Airport to refill your vehicle before you return it. However, you will have to go around the circle first to get back to the fuel station or you can go the drop off zone first and off load and then head to the fuel station for the refill.

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

north yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Petrol stations

Look at this - map of airport. BP station at bottom left of map

http://www.acsa.co.za/home.asp?pid=3784

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Petrol stations

And keep your last petrol slop. Just in case they charge you again on your credit card.

Oxford, United...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Petrol stations

I recently returned a hire car to Cape Town International airport and getting to the petrol station is tricky.

There is no entry from the traffic circle and as a previous poster above says it is necessary to proceed through the airport and start exiting it again to get there. I imagine this could be rather stress-inducing as it feels like you are heading back towards the motorway (N2) with no means of return.

My experience was that I gave up after trying to get to the petrol station from the traffic circle and simply headed to the rental car return area (Europcar). There I was told that they are aware of the problem and that they refill the car but do not penalise you.

I checked my credit card statement on return and I can see that only the cost of the fuel was charged.

My suggestion is that you check with your rental company when you are collecting the car.

I hope that helps.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
525 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Petrol stations

Please search, there is a very detailed recent post that will help you with your question on filling up.

Best place is the Service Station at Somerset West, a few miles before the airport and on the N2

I agree with the new road layout, it is not easy to find the BP garage anymore. I got very lost a couple of months ago!

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Petrol stations

From my experience, most cars with a full tank are good for 100 kms before the needle moves off full. You can always check your particular vehicle during your vacation. For example, I always fill up in Camps Bay before returning to Avis.

However, as Lisa says, Somerset West is a good pit stop. There's a link below to a map of an Engen garage, it's only 30 kms from CPT.

www.google.com/maps/search/gas+stations+somerset+west/@-34.094607,18.844884,16z/data=!4m5!2m4!3m3!1sgas+stations!2sSomerset+West,+Cape+Town,+South+Africa!3s0x1dcdb565fbc4f737:0x42f889f307a16bb9

Edited: 17 May 2014, 18:11
9. Re: Petrol stations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2015, 05:16