We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camps Bay and Green Point

Atlanta
Level Contributor
898 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Camps Bay and Green Point

We will be in Cape Town area with a rental car for 5 days in July and I'm trying to decide between Waterfront (which strikes me as more commercial with malls, shopping, etc...not so much interested in that), Green Point, and Camps Bay. We plan to rent an apartment via airbnb or similar.

A friend who recently stayed in Sea Point suggested Green Point to us (saying he wished he'd stayed there instead). He said also that there were a lot of nice playgrounds and walking areas on the beach where he was (Sea Point). Ergo great for kids. But it looks like those areas are closer to C.T. central.

I'm wishing to stay in a somewhat relaxed area but not residential per se as I'd like to walk with the family to shops, cafes, etc, even at night. Is Green Point like that? Or should we stay in Camps Bay, which is kind of my gut feeling. So many on tripadvisor like Camps Bay. Of course, if beach spots in winter are blah, then we could do Waterfront. Any advice is appreciated.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
222 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camps Bay and Green Point

We stayed in sea point at The glen boutique hotel. Sea point is very nice and more residential. The waterfront gets you a nice view but it is very touristy and expensive. Camps bay has the view (awesome beach and mountain views) but has lots of traffic. If you want a more local feel and keep some money in your pocket, stay in sea point or bantry bay. If you are renting a car getting around the city is not difficult. You can day trip outside of the city.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,721 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camps Bay and Green Point

We stayed in Camps Bay for 4 nights, and absolutely loved it. It is an upscale beach town, it has nice restaurants, and some shops that you can just walk to. A very safe area, we walked to restaurants at night. I also enjoyed walking along the beach in the mornings there.

We went in July, it was their winter season. Low season, no traffic at all. It had a very peaceful and relaxed feel.

We visited the Waterfront and Green Point. We also considered staying at the Waterfront, but I was glad that we stayed at Camps Bay. The Waterfront with its market place and malls was fun for an afternoon visit, but it was too busy and commercial for my taste to stay there.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,067 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camps Bay and Green Point

Go for Camps Bay, within easy reach form the city and surrounds.

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camps Bay and Green Point

Camps Bay would be no 1 choice. I definitely would not suggest Green Point. Winter in Cape Town is awful and July is mid winter. So yes an apartment at the waterfront might be a good bet because if its a nice day its just a few minutes to the promenade for a walk and to the urban park for the kids. At night there are lots of restaurants and shops around and an easy walk from the actual apartments at the waterfront to the actual shops.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
898 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camps Bay and Green Point

This is so encouraging! Thanks everyone. I've been looking at villa rentals all morning. It's surprising what you can get for $150-250 per night in the winter. It is a bit hard to tell where the restaurant/shops area is in relation to the various villas. Many say "short distance" to shops or "walking distance" without qualification, but once I rented a place where "walking distance" was over a mile. Short distance could mean anything (even driving, I suppose). Is there a general area in Camps Bay that I should be looking at or a street that would be the outer limit for walking to shops?

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Camps Bay and Green Point

Once you find the place give us the address and we will tell you how far it is. It depends how far up the road/s the places are. Its very hilly Camps Bay but if its low down then its fine. Alternatively if its high up and you have a car its also fine.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
190 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Camps Bay and Green Point

if you stay in camps bay you can always do the ho ho bus to get you into cape town central and the waterfront on a couple of days as it stops directly on the front

Atlanta
Level Contributor
898 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Camps Bay and Green Point

Yes, I think the Ho Ho bus might be more convenient that using our car (parking issues at Waterfront?). And divacape, I will most definitely post address so you can help! Thank you!

9. Re: Camps Bay and Green Point

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2014, 06:19