We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape Town Safari and Shark excursion!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Cape Town Safari and Shark excursion!

We are ECSTATIC to be coming to Cape Town this November for ~2 weeks! While there, we would like to do a great safari and also do some sort of shark excursion (NOT diving!) Can anyone recommend exceptional ones? We don't mind driving a bit or even flying to get to the safari. We just want to have a great experience. Any other advise on things we MUST do is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
703 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape Town Safari and Shark excursion!

Hi Nicole,

That's amazing. I'm sure you're going to have a great time. Cape Town is a great city!

The first thing I must tell you, is that you are not going to get a great safari experience in/close to Cape Town. The premium safari destination is the Greater Kruger area which for a great overall safari experience would be my first recommendation and you can do this either before or after Cape Town. There are other safari options in the Eastern Cape like Shamwari or Kwandwe to consider, but in my opinion not quite as good as Kruger. You may have to be flexible on budget being so close to the time in order to get availability at a nice lodge.

With regards to a shark excursion, other than Shark Cage Diving, I'm not sure if there's anything else. There will be plenty to do in Cape Town besides the beautiful beaches. There are the Winelands districts, where you can either spend a couple of nights or do a Day Tour. You can do a Peninsula Tour, Table Mountain and Robben Island, City Tours etc. There's also a hop-on-hop-off bus. If you are more adventurous you can climb Lions Head or hike up Table Mountain. There's also paragliding from Lions Head, Scuba Diving, Tandem Skydiving both in Cape Town and the Winelands plus so much more.

Hope that helps for a start. Let us know if you have any more questions.

Regards.

Brett | Owner | Safaris For Me | South Africa

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,024 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape Town Safari and Shark excursion!

I fully agree with Brett's idea that you will not experience a proper safari close to Cape Town unless you are prepared to go to the Eastern Cape or The Greater Kruger National Park. With a 2weeks stay in South Africa you can easily arrange internal flights to get to 1 of these destinations and enjoy a proper safari. If not, the best local safari close to Cape Town you do have 2 options though. The one is Sanbona Safari about a 3hr drive form the City of Cape Town with an min recommendation stay of 2nights and then off course Inverdoorn Game Reserve with an option of 1night stay or you can do it with a day trip.

With Shark Cage Diving it can be done in Gansbaai which is a 2hr drive form Cape Town but i can maybe suggest that you add a night or 2 in and stay in Hermanus and you can enjoy the last viewing of the whales as well in Walker Bay and also at De Kelders. These are within easy reach of the City and with good planning you can have a really good time.

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
5,031 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape Town Safari and Shark excursion!

Hi Nicole

Re shark cage diving, you do need anything else, if you go out on shark diving boat you do not have to get into the cage. Only half the people on our trip went into the water and in fact the ones on the boat usually get the best photo opportunities.

Having two weeks is great, it means you will have time to see Cape Town and surrounds as well as have time to visit the top safari destination in South Africa, Kruger National Park.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,638 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cape Town Safari and Shark excursion!

Here's a montage of video I have shot on the shark boats that sail from Kleinbaai, right outside Gansbaai.

www.youtube.com/watch…

Most of the scenes would be what folks on the boat would see when they were not actually in the cage.

The cost is the same whether you go in the cage or not - and yes, you really do see the sharks a lot better from the boat than you do from the cage - except for that one dazzling moment when you are in the cage as the shark comes to see you. Nose-to-nose!!!

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cape Town Safari and Shark excursion!

Great video!!

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
1 post
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cape Town Safari and Shark excursion!

Hi Nicole

I live in Hermanus, and will highly recommend Sharklady Adventures. Kim, the owner is very passionate about the conservation and study of sharks, and you don't get rushed through the experience. She recently took Rihanna out while on tour in SA, and most of the celebrities visiting our town go with Kim, since her reputation in the business is the best. (Email: sharklady@hermanus.co.za, Email: kim@sharklady.co.za (Direct email to Sharklady),Tel : +27(0)28 313 2306, Fax : +27(0)28 313 1967) It is an amazing experience! Hermanus is one of the most beautiful towns in SA, so stay for a day or two, and then you are half hour away from where the shark experience takes place. We currently have 100's of Southern Right Whales in the bay, quite a sight.

In Cape Town for a cullinary experience, I suggest The Test Kitchen. Home · About · Food ... The Test Kitchen, The Old Biscuit Mill, 375 Albert Road, Woodstock, Cape Town, South Africa +27 (0) 21 447 2337 (5star food and price reasonable for but above avarage), Madam Zingara for an evening of Burlesque OTT debauchery (a must do experience in Cape Town) They are at the waterfront.

Unless you are an avid shopper, the V&A waterfront is worth just one visit, since there are so much more to do than spend time in a "mall'. The Kirstenbosch gardens is also a must, and they have sunset concerts that start on 24 November with a spectacular band, Prime Circle, if you are here that time. ( dogreatthings.co.za/music/… )

Should you want any more info regarding acco modation or more to do, especially in Hermanus, please let me know. I am a great ambassador for my town.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cape Town Safari and Shark excursion!

Wow! Thanks for all the great advice!!

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,857 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cape Town Safari and Shark excursion!

Hello and just to give you something extra to consider...take a look at KwaZulu Natal for your safari section. There you will get a real taste of Africa, a choice of many great game reserves with not only the Big 5, but cheetahs & wild dogs. There are two world heritage sites, the Drakensberg Mountains and the Isimangaliso Wetlands. The province has vast beaches on the warm Indian Ocean and its turtle egg laying season. There is also the Zulu culture and a stack of history. My wife is from KZN so we holiday there at least once a year.

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

9. Re: Cape Town Safari and Shark excursion!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2014, 05:23