We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sth Africa travelling from Brisbane Australia

Which Cape Town hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Sth Africa travelling from Brisbane Australia

Hi, Please be gentle, my first question here after giving a few reviews previously... We are keen to travel to South Africa next November (I am asking now bc if its the wrong season we can consider a change, or we have time to save more $$).

Our itinerary was looking long and stressful so we are now wondering if the following would work and if anyone has used particular companies in Australia or online to book to take out the stress factor! We arent looking for luxury, just comfortable enough to enjoy the trip as this ones for the 40th birthday.. Looking at 12 - 15 days max as have to be back for birthday celebrations.

Fly in from Brisbane to Cape Town, spend time in the region and enjoy the sites, a suitable safari if recommended at a private reserve. Considering a drive one way from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth and leave the car there to then fly up to Victoria Falls for a few days, then from there home to Brisbane...

Too much travel and not enough enjoying? Either that or we save up and come back for a second holiday to Vic Falls and other safari points bc my partner would love to head over to climb Kilimanjaro ...

Thank you!

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,196 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sth Africa travelling from Brisbane Australia

Vic Falls will be an expensive part of the trip. So, whether you have money to do it now, is up to you.

You really need to do the trip to PE, if you want to do a safari. Nothing is really near Caoe Town.

Table View, South...
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sth Africa travelling from Brisbane Australia

From PE fly to Durban and safari round St Lucia and then fly back home from Durban. Emirates flies to both Cape Town and Durban so would avoid sitting around to many airports. I believe they also fly to Brisbane.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
703 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sth Africa travelling from Brisbane Australia

Hi T_CMac09,

The 2 things I would recommend, and are generally the most popular destinations, are Cape Town and the Garden Route and a definitely a Kruger safari, which is a must do. Vic Falls is a nice addition, but as lamlee mentioned can add significantly to the cost, due to extra flights which are currently fairly expensive.

November is a fine time to travel to SA, and definitely not the wrong season. In fact there's no bad time, given our generally very temperate climate. November will generally be warm to hot around the country. From a cost point of view, May to August and September in some cases, is normally the more cost effective time to travel being 'low season'.

Let us know if you have any more questions.

Regards.

Brett | Owner | Safaris For Me | South Africa

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,863 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sth Africa travelling from Brisbane Australia

I would also add to the above, that November is not the best time to view Victoria Falls. I have seen it in late April and in late November. The latter was barely a trickle compared to the former. I would save VF for another trip and concentrate on South Africa.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sth Africa travelling from Brisbane Australia

We mostly do our own research and then book accommodation and flights direct with Sth African operators. However last year, when we visited Zimbabwe and Vic Falls we did those bookings just through our local Flight Centre, which as you would probably know are in Brisbane. We had obtained their African booklets and picked out our Zim lodges from the Africa - Adventure World book. Very easy and less stress, you could use them for your Sth African bookings too. Our trip was in September, a good time to see the Falls, not too misty and water flowing. September is suggested as a good time to view game in S.A. With only 12-15 days I agree with Tryhard, consider that part for another holiday.

Re safaris I agree with Lengau, Kwa Zulu Natal offers a good choice of private and public safari lodges to suite a range of budgets. Self drive from Durban is easily doeable. Look at Umfolozi Hluluwe Game Reserve(self cater and catered, budget friendly). More upmarket ($$$) there is Mkuze Falls Lodge, Phinda Lodges, as well as a couple of other smaller private reserves and one of my favourites Tembe Elephant Reserve further north, where we stayed for 4 days this year. I can recommend Umfolozi we had 3 days there as well, self catering and self driving. Hope this helps with your planning. It is worth doing some desk research first, there is much to see in S.A. and many choices. for would be travellers. Just ask in this forum if needed

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,855 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sth Africa travelling from Brisbane Australia

I’d go along with the general consensus to do Vic Falls another time and combine it with a Kili climb and safari in either Zimbabwe, Tanzania, Kenya or a combination thereof. Seeing as you will be on the east coast of SA and don’t have a huge amount of time why not try and see what that side has to offer. You can easily combine CT, the garden route and safaris in KwaZulu Natal . The added bonus of this suggestion is that you can include St Lucia and Isimangaliso (world heritage site) at the same time. A self-drive from Durban north to these places is quite feasible and as Nooee has said there is accommodation to suit all. If you can squeeze in Tembe you won’t regret it

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sth Africa travelling from Brisbane Australia

Thank you so much for the information!! I will dissect it when Im home from work as great ideas.

Will look at the falls another time, as suggested in September one year. My issue this time is we put our work holidays in a year in advance so these Nov14 holidays were put in a couple of months ago before I asked questions!

Appreciate it!

Trish

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
266 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sth Africa travelling from Brisbane Australia

Hi there - if you are still thinking about an agent I can highly recommend Encompass Africa who are incidentally based in Brisbane. They only book African travel and wonderful to deal with and competitively priced. We booked a trip with them last year to SA, namibia, botswana, vic falls + Rwanda and everything was excellent. Have just booked another 5 week trip for January 2014 flying into port Elizabeth driving to Cape Town then driving up to namibia for 3 weeks. Again Jono at encompass africa has been brilliant putting up with all my changes and questions to get it just right.

My understanding is that vic falls are not great in November. You could go to a game park for safari somewhere around mossel bay - port Elizabeth. Or add on a few days to safari in Kruger at the start/end of your trip as you will be flying in/out of Jo'berg so an easy add-on. Good luck with your planning!!

9. Re: Sth Africa travelling from Brisbane Australia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2014, 04:18