We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Critique

Grand Rapids, MI
Level Contributor
19 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Critique

My husband and I will be traveling from the U.S. to South Africa next fall. Would anyone be willing to critique our itinerary?

Saturday: Flight from Washington (IAD) to Cape Town

Sunday: Arrive in Cape Town, pick up rental car and check into guesthouse in Camps Bay

Monday: Visit Robben Island, explore Waterfront

Tuesday: Visit Table Mountain, take cableway up (depending on weather)

Wednesday: Day trip to Stellenbosch

Thursday: Drive to Boulder Beach

Friday: Free day in Cape Town

Saturday: Flight from Cape Town to Hoedspruit, check in at Gomo Gomo Game Lodge

Sunday: Gomo Gomo Game Lodge

Monday: Gomo Gomo Game Lodge

Tuesday: Flight from Hoedspruit back to Washington

Wednesday: Arrive home

When traveling we enjoy trying new restaurants, experiencing the local culture & wildlife viewing. We're fairly active, but do like to have some down time during our trips.

Does this itinerary look OK? I'm specifically wondering if we'll have enough time in Cape Town and if there is anything else that we must see while in the area.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,107 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Critique

Looks good to me. I think 5 full days in Cape Town will work fine. Below are some suggestions that might already be in your plans.

Figure half day for Table Mt and other half for exploring Cape Town region. Forget your car and use hop on hop off bus (HOHO) to get around.

When driving to Boulders consider driving the entire Cape Peninsula---plenty of time for the day trip.

As part of the visit to Stellenbosch include nearby wineries for lunch and tasting.

If interested, use the free day for an easy day trip to Hermanus for land based whale watching. They get very close to shore in spots.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,619 posts
5,730 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Critique

Your plan looks great. Cape Town is a gem, Gomo Gomo is a great safari resort. You will have a lovely trip to South Africa.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Critique

You can also add a visit to the Kirstenbosch botanical gardens and combine that with a quick visit to the Constantia wine region. Great place to have a very nice lunch at one of the wineries.

When going to Boulders beach do the entire Peninsula trip, A nice very quaint little village is Kalkbay with lots of shops and cafe's for coffee before going to Boulders beach. Then you can include a visit to Cape Point nature reserve and from drive via Kommetjie, Noordhoek (Beautiful beach), over Chapmans peak drive to Houtbay, Llundudno, back to Campsbay. if you are there when it is full moon, and want something different to do, go and climb out Leeukop with the rest of Cape Town (-:, it is about a 45min climb to the top and its beautiful to be on top for sunsets and enjoying a glass of champagne. The moon provides plenty of light, but I just take a headlamp with for the down climb, which makes it a bit easier.

Grand Rapids, MI
Level Contributor
19 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Critique

Thank you for all the feedback! We'll look into doing a drive around the peninsula & possibly a drive to Constantia. Can't wait :)

Chichester, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Critique

Itinerary for touring between George and port Elizabeth for two weeks. Round trip would be good staying at country hotels as it is a special trip and this is our fourth visit to S.A. Which is such a beautiful country.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
450 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Critique

Absolutely agree with driving around the whole peninsular. It is easily done in one day including a number of stops, Boulders Beach is practically halfway. Ensure to include stopping at Cape Point and walking to the point, amazing to see the Indian and Atlantic Oceans meet. The restaurant there has a nice view as well.

There is also a great pub at Kalk Bay (the brass bell) that actually juts out into the ocean and the waves sort of crash around the building splashing the windows... I thought it was quite cool. A good spot for a drink if you decide to drive the other way... i.e. drive from camps bay south to Cape Point. Which I would recommend anyway as you are so close to chapmans peak, and it would be better to find out in the morning if the pass is closed or not.

7. Re: Itinerary Critique

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 November 2014, 06:19