We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

East River area

Which Cape Town hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Broadstairs, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
East River area

A relative is planning to spend several months living in this area with a much younger black lady who he met while on holiday in Cape Town last winter. However then he was staying in a good tourist hotel. We are worried about his safety ( he is over 70) but he is confident all will be well. Does anyone know this area?

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: East River area

Hi,

Eersterivier is a middle class area. I would make very sure that the "black lady" is reputable and comes from a good background i.e. check with her employer. It certainly is an area where one has to take care and beware, especially on trains and when using public transport. As an elderly person and "tourist" he would be vulnerable to attack but theft is usually opportunistic - i.e. cell phones, wallets, laptops are targeted.

Broadstairs, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: East River area

That is very helpful thank you. His phone was stolen last time. This is a way he can afford to stay longer in a place he loves, so I guess some risk is acceptable. No doubt his friend will keep an eye on him. It is hard to tell which areas are ok from this distance, so many thanks for your reply.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,081 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: East River area

You need to be clear. Are you sure they are talking about "Eersterivier", which means First River, not East River?

I would not really call Eersterivier middle class - maybe lower middle. It is a long way from the City. Around 40 km. Further out than the airport along the N2. Although part of the Cape Town municipality it is much closer to Somerset West or Stellenbosch. Another point to bear in mind is that this broad region of Cape Town is very much Afrikaans speaking rather than English. Maybe OK if he is mainly with his friend but maybe more of a problem if he wants to make other local friends. One to one communication is no problem at all but being part of a local group may be more of an issue.

Another area which could possibly be meant is the Upper Eastside area of Salt River. This is an up and coming area not far from the city which was previously quite rundown and decayed. Lots of light industry especially the garment trade. However this is being converted under a major long term regeneration plan. Lots of new blocks of apartments which are favoured by the (slightly more adventurous) young mobile professionals. Runs into Woodstock where there are trendy new markets and restaurants - including one of the very best in the country, The Test Kitchen.

So I would be very sure of which of these - or even somewhere else - that is meant, before looking further into it.

Broadstairs, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: East River area

Thank you for this further information. The address is East River Cape Town 7100. I have a street name too, which it's probably not sensible to put on Tripadvisor. I have looked on Google streetmaps - it doesn't look particularly middle class to me but I have never been to South Africa, let alone Cape Town. Fairly basic bungalows with tarmac roads, I would say. I know it is a fairly long commute to the tourist areas, as he has mentioned his waitress friend has a long journey into her job (she is a seasonal worker, who he got to know quite well on his last visit and has stayed in touch with through the year).

Any information or advice you can give is much appreciated. Thank you.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,081 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: East River area

The 7100 postcode means that this is definitely not East River but Eerste Rivier (First River). This is the place I referenced earlier.

Your description of the area seems pretty correct to me. Compare this on Street View to areas such as Newlands, Rondebosch, Green Point or Welgelegen. These are examples of what I would call middle class suburbs of different types.

For background you might be interested in looking at the demographic of this suburb from the 2011 census :

census2011.adrianfrith.com/place/199036

But 70 is not "old". I am not too far off that myself! Hopefully he is able to weigh up the pros and cons and make his own decision?

Broadstairs, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: East River area

Thank you, this is really helpful.

Just to clarify, he has made up his mind - and we will not be able to change it. I guess I am just looking for any information that will reassure his family, but the census information tells its own story. This is not a place he would normally choose to live.

He is well into his seventies and not the fittest person for his age I know, but for the record, we are not spring chickens either :-) Thank you for your help

Edited: 10 November 2013, 20:18
Berlin
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: East River area

Hi there,

I've been in East River yesterday with a friend of mine. The places and houses I have been in to, middleclass would be an euphemism (- though it depends to what you are comparing it, of course). Your story sounds to me as if your relative is seeking an cultural adventure :D.

I think there are a lot of decent people from whom you can learn a lot and who can really uplift your spirits. Still, hearing the stories from people there, he needs to be more aware of his security than in actual middle class neighborhoods. IMO the make or brake is a good social network looking for him and acquainting him with the conventions of the place, what's adequate and what's not.

I hope he's well and would be really interested how it went down?

All the best!

8. Re: East River area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2015, 05:16